Tire Pressure Sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure Sensor?

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I got new tires installed today. A family friend owns the place that installed them and I asked him to show me how the machine works that mounts the tires, then he told me you have to be careful when the whiles have tire pressure sensors. I told him i didn't think my car had that option (2004 ford explorer xlt 4.0l sohc) and he assured me it did. I'm just curious why do my wheels have tire pressure sensors but my dashboard doesn't have an option of a low tire pressure light? Or am I missing something, because I've had a completely flat tire and nothing has shown up. Once again I apoligize if this is a bad question, I'm not much of a mechanic. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys,
I have a 2014 Explorer, Tire sensor code tripped, I just put back on the stock rims and now it's tripped. I figured that it'd clear out as I've read up on it, but, it hasn't cleared itself out. Thinkin' maybe a bad sensor? Dead or low battery in sensor since, they haven't been used in a while? Any clearing procedures? Help greatly appreciated.....thanks!

I think I found my problem, haha, I put a rubber valve stem cap on one of my wheels as it was missing a metal one. Hope this is the cause of the problem!

Well come to find out the sensors were on the after market rims. Havin them swapped back to the factory rims and hoping this clears up my fault code.

Have you successful swapped back and clear the code?

Yes it's cleared out. I'm Thankful I didn't sell those after market rims before figuring out what the deal was Hahaha

What's the differance in TPMS

I setting up a set of winter wheels for my 2016 Explorer and I went to Ford Parts.com to get tire pressure sensors. It had several different ones listed but the part number was the same, 1A189. There was another number along with that TPMS-35, price $38.18 another one was TPMS-12 for $90.02. Both had the 315 MHZ rating. What is up with this?
I had a 2008 Sport Trac that I would change out my wheel set for winter use and I never put sensors in them and just put up with the light on, on the dash. Will this create problems on the new Explorers?
Any info on this would help. Thanks.

Back