Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
Some time back I swapped out my interior. This included adding the third row seat setup. With this, I lost the spot where my AMP was. Having installed a second row with the center console, I didn't have any good spots to locate the AMP. I drove around for months like this and it was absolutely driving me crazy.

I had my eye on the area behind the rear, drivers side wheel. As I don't have rear AC, this is just an unused pocket. Having made multiple trips to the wrecking yard, I knew that the interior trim pieces were readily available and so began to hack mine up.

I don't have starting pictures, I original was attempting to remove the little cubby in the panel using a heat gun. This quickly turned into a "lets cut this b!tch off" procedure and so here's where we start.

Attachments

• AMP1.JPG
    AMP1.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 223
  • AMP2.JPG
    AMP2.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 216
  • AMP3.JPG
    AMP3.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 214
  • AMP4.JPG
    AMP4.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 223
  • AMP5.JPG
    AMP5.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 237
  • AMP6.JPG
    AMP6.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 214

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cont....

Attachments

• AMP12.JPG
    AMP12.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 215
  • AMP11.JPG
    AMP11.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 220
  • AMP10.JPG
    AMP10.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 222
  • AMP9.JPG
    AMP9.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 212
  • AMP8.JPG
    AMP8.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 212
  • AMP7.JPG
    AMP7.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 220

Cont.....

Attachments

• AMP24.JPG
    AMP24.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 213
  • AMP23.JPG
    AMP23.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 216
  • AMP22.JPG
    AMP22.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 203
  • AMP21.JPG
    AMP21.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 214
  • AMP20.JPG
    AMP20.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 215
  • AMP19.JPG
    AMP19.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 214

Last one. This isn't meant to be a step by step, but to simply give you an idea. I only used material I had laying around.

Attachments

• AMP25.JPG
    AMP25.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 218
  • AMP26.JPG
    AMP26.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 211

Nice job #4 , good woodworking skilz.

Yeah, not bad for having used a Sawzall (reciprocating saw) for cutting out the main back board. It could certainly be done cleaner.

It looks good. Are you going to put any sort of mesh cover over it to conceal the amp a bit?

It looks good. Are you going to put any sort of mesh cover over it to conceal the amp a bit?

Need to go back to the wrecking yard and pick up another stock interior piece and one from an Ex with rear AC. Then come up with a way to conceal it while still keeping it generally accessible.

For the amp, make a thin wooden frame that pushes in fairly snugly into the hole. Then line the thing with Grey pantyhose. May sound odd, but it works great as a cover. You won't be able to clearly see through it, but still allows air flow through and easy enough to pull the whole cover out.

Back