Explorer windshield washer not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer windshield washer not working

snowpond97

Reaction score
City, State
cocoa beach fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 eddie bauer
Hello,
I have a 2003 Ford Eddie Bauer Explorer and my windshield washer pump is running but not pumping so to change out pump do you just pull the suction side of the pump from the reservoir? It looks like it snaps in via a seal/rubber gromment? Also with both rear and front discharge hose disconnected should fluid pour out? (which it does not) Possible reservoir clog?
Thanks,
Snowpond97

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would expect fluid to come out of you disconnect the hose from the pump. See if you can blow through the hose, to elimate that from being plugged.

Changing the pump is not difficult at all. When I get home I'll point you to one of my posts about it. You could also search my posts ans see if you can find it.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRondo,
Sorry I did not get right back to you but you were right on the money. It was a bad pump and your diagram was most helpful. Thanks for you help, it is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Snowpond97

BigRondo,
Sorry I did not get right back to you but you were right on the money. It was a bad pump and your diagram was most helpful. Thanks for you help, it is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Snowpond97

Glad to help. :biggthump

replaced pump; still no washer fluid - Any suggestions? Couldn't find fuse, for the washer pump??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

replaced pump; still no washer fluid - Any suggestions? Couldn't find fuse, for the washer pump??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Be more clear w/ your response...

When you say still no washer fluid after replacing the pump - is the pump turning ON (can you hear it "buzz")?

Was the pump replaced w/ a new pump or used?

If the pump is not turning on, then you need to check fuses, the actual harness connection at the pump and/or the multi function control stalk.

If the pump IS turning on, but is not pumping fluid to the windshield, then you should check for any holes, leaks or loose washer hoses under the hood and going to the washer resevoir.

If all hoses are good and the pump is "on" - then I'd suspect the impellar fell off of the pump, in which case, it cannot pull fluid into pump.

Cobra Jet;

Yes brand new pump from Auto Zone; hoses look good. The pump doesn't make any sound or turn on...etc.

Not sure where to locate the fuse for this....I have checked all the fuses on the interior fuse block as well as the one under the hood.

From what i can see all the fuses are good. If you are able to point me to a specific fuse for the washer motor - it would be greatly appreciated.

On an additional side note the rear wiper doesn't turn on at all.

How would i check if the 'multi-function' control stalk has not gone bad?? The only thing working properly is the actually front windshield wipers.

Again any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cobra Jet;

Yes brand new pump from Auto Zone; hoses look good. The pump doesn't make any sound or turn on...etc.

Not sure where to locate the fuse for this....I have checked all the fuses on the interior fuse block as well as the one under the hood.

From what i can see all the fuses are good. If you are able to point me to a specific fuse for the washer motor - it would be greatly appreciated.

On an additional side note the rear wiper doesn't turn on at all.

How would i check if the 'multi-function' control stalk has not gone bad?? The only thing working properly is the actually front windshield wipers.

Again any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I don't know how to check the Multi Function Switch. Here is the thread for replacing it: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=279556

Here is some info from my owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

I apologize for the size of the pics but I wanted you to be able to see them.

There are 2 fuses related to the wipers/washers in the fuse panel located in the passenger compartment. #8 is a 30A Fuse for the front & rear washer relays and the front wiper control. #9 is a 15A Fuse for the rear wiper coil and contact:

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

There are 2 relays related to the washers located on the reverse side of the fuse panel. #4 is the relay for the front washer pump. #6 is the relay for the rear washer pump:

There are 2 relays related to the wipers located in the power distribution box located under the hood. #54 is the wiper run/park relay. #59 is the wiper high/low relay:

There is a relay related to the wipers in the rear relay box located on the rear quarter side passenger trim panel. To access this box you must remove the trim panel. #17 is the rear wipers relay:

I hope this helps out. Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :party:

Back