ROugh idle engine shakes PLEASE HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ROugh idle engine shakes PLEASE HELP

02ex121

Reaction score
City, State
new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer xlt
hey guys, i have a 2002 ford explorer xlt 4.0 and i have been expierencing a rough idle at stop lights/signs and in park. i recently brought it to a shop and the mechanic told me that i had a cylinder 1 and 6 misfire reading. He replaced 2 injectors and ran a compression test that passed. After just these two issues he told me it still ran rough and was saying engine is done and asked about buying a used engine to replace it. it has 112000 miles and ran fine prior to this issue. I was going to bring it to another mechanic for a second opinion. was wondering if anyone out there can possiblly help me in any way thanks.....steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the most common cause of your symptoms is a dirty IAC valve. You can clean the IAC valve and throttle body for just the cost of a can of throttle body cleaner and a few minuted of your time. You can also get some MAF cleaner and carefully clean the MAF sensor. You should be able to find how-to's on the site. It could be something more serious but try the cheap fixes first!

I just did this on my 2002 XLT 4.0 yesterday since it was just started having trouble idling in the morning. Less than 30 minutes and less than $10 later, it was all fixed.

IS it still misfiring?
Does the check engine light appear after a couple of miles?
Possible fuel filter,broken valve spring,check spark plugs.

This just happened to me on my 2005 Explorer last month. I had to replace the Harmonic Balancer at 75000 miles. This gave the computer a bunch of different readings that the Ford dealer had trouble shoot. After many disputes with them, one mechanic finally figured it out. Hope this helps.

What about the plugs and wires did he ever check those?

What about the plugs and wires did he ever check those?

The first couple of solution that the dealer suggested were to change the plugs, wires and Intake Manifold Seals. I'd changed the plugs and wires thinking t it would be the least expensive way to solve the rough idle. Not so. After numerous tests, like replaceing the Intake Manifold Seals, MAS, and the Throttle Body, nothing worked. Actually, the Harmonic Balancer cost the least to replace. However, I did get some money back for the misdiagnosis from the Ford dealer.

What about the pcv elbows they are bad to develope holes and cause a vacuum leak. Sometimes it won't even throw the lean codes, p0171, p0174, which I'm assuming you don't have cause you didn't mention it. Of course they should have noticed that when they changed intake gaskets.

What about the pcv elbows they are bad to develope holes and cause a vacuum leak. Sometimes it won't even throw the lean codes, p0171, p0174, which I'm assuming you don't have cause you didn't mention it. Of course they should have noticed that when they changed intake gaskets.

They checked the pvc elbows first and didn't find any leaks. A propane test on the intake manifold gaskets were performed to see if there were any leaks. They suggested to replace the seals, plugs and wires. It took almost two weeks for them to discover the harmonic balancer was worn.

Blue Explorer...was your symptoms a loping rough idle with no check engine light?

Back