• Register Today It's free!

Repack front wheel bearings?

drstein

Reaction score
City, State
Justin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I've searched through a few other threads, and that's why I'm asking. I went to have an alignment done on my 94 Ex and the shop said they couldn't do it because my front wheel bearings needed to be repacked. The mechanic had the Ex up on the lift and was able to wobble my front wheels around quite a bit.
They quoted me around $350 to do the job. I opted to wait and check here first. I'm reading that you need to do that on 2WD Explorers, but mine is 4WD. Do I need to have this done?
It has about 190k on it, and I have never had it done. I do experience a wobble when going over 68 mph on the highway and a slight vibration. The tires are brand new and have been balanced, but it did this on the old tires too.

Is this something that I can do at home easily?

Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this something that I can do at home easily?

Cheers!
Yes! If they haven't been done - you should at least repack the bearings, if not replace them. Be sure to look closely at the races (part the bearing rolls on in the hub) and spindle for any signs of excessive wear. My new barings (from O'reilly Auto parts) came with new races, so I replaced them.

Once you get the right tools its easy to do... I'm assuming you still have the factory automatic hubs which means you need the 2 3/8" hub socket. Other than that the rest of the tools are normal hand tools (torque wrench is good to have too)..

If you have never done bearings before the hardest part will be packing the bearing with grease.. They sell things to help with that. There is the cut with the plunger looking thing that will fill the bearing with grease. There is also the thing that you put the bearing into and use your grease gun to fill it with grease.

I still do it by hand... I never looked for instruction on how to do it by hand but I'm sure its out there on the 'net.

If you can't find the instructions on here on how to replace your bearings using the search just post back.. I'm sure one of the EF members with good search skills will be able to find it for you..

~Mark

Here is a really good write up you may want to take a look at. It is a how-to about brakes but all the information that you need to know in order to repack the wheel bearings is in there.

I had the same situation on my Ex. I agree with everyone else, but I would add that you should always replace the races with new bearings. 190K there is wear on the races as well as the bearings. IMHO Timken makes excellent bearings. After I did the repair, the shop that couldn't do the alignment, said they still couldn't do it because of play. The issue with my Ex turned out to be play in the steering box, not the wheel bearings. I found a shop that does alignments the old fashioned way (giant calipers) and the got it done.

The price that shop quoted you for repacking the front bearings is outrageous!

You could just about replace all the parts in the front axle for that fee...

The actual work is not all that difficult, and can easily be done at home. I'd replace all the bearings. Costs for Timken bearings should be under $20 a piece. ALWAYS replace the races with the bearings. The old ones knock right out with a punch. Just tap them out in each direction -- the front out the front, the rear out the rear. Also, replace the wheel seal on each side.

Total time should be under an hour a side.

does anyone have a picture of front wheel bearing repair 4wd 1996 explorer

Once you get the right tools its easy to do... I'm assuming you still have the factory automatic hubs which means you need the 2 3/8" hub socket. Other than that the rest of the tools are normal hand tools (torque wrench is good to have too)..

If you have never done bearings before the hardest part will be packing the bearing with grease.. They sell things to help with that. There is the cut with the plunger looking thing that will fill the bearing with grease. There is also the thing that you put the bearing into and use your grease gun to fill it with grease.

I still do it by hand... I never looked for instruction on how to do it by hand but I'm sure its out there on the 'net.

If you can't find the instructions on here on how to replace your bearings using the search just post back.. I'm sure one of the EF members with good search skills will be able to find it for you..

~Mark

Ok I am confused... According to what I am reading here You can repack the bearings.. But a few post later James909 states that you have to replace the whole hub assy. I have a 2001 explorer xlt 4wd... I will be doing Lower Ball joints and want to repack everything i can while i have it apart or do i have to change the whole bearing assy?? Thanks Joe E

Ok I am confused... According to what I am reading here You can repack the bearings.. But a few post later James909 states that you have to replace the whole hub assy. I have a 2001 explorer xlt 4wd... I will be doing Lower Ball joints and want to repack everything i can while i have it apart or do i have to change the whole bearing assy?? Thanks Joe E

That is because your reading a thread that talks about 1st generation explorers and you don't have a 1st generation explorer. As I understand it, your 2001 is bearing assembly and you don't replace the bearing or repack them.

~Mark

As mentioned, only 91-94 Explorers have bearings which can be repacked. Sorry for the confusion, the link in post #8 was referring to the post above it which asked about a 2nd generation like you have, but the rest of the thread is pertaining to 1st generation Explorers. I went back and edited that post to hopefully clear things up.

That is because your reading a thread that talks about 1st generation explorers and you don't have a 1st generation explorer. As I understand it, your 2001 is bearing assembly and you don't replace the bearing or repack them.

~Mark

Ok then what is 1st generation, 2nd generation etc...etc...And what generation do I Have??? Sorry to sound truck dumb, I'm an aviation mechanic LOL

1991-1994 is 1st gen.
1995-2001 is 2nd gen.

If you have independent rear suspension then your beyond 2nd gen.

~Mark

1991-1994 is 1st gen.
1995-2001 is 2nd gen.

If you have independent rear suspension then your beyond 2nd gen.

~Mark[/Q

Thank You Mark

Back