Camshaft compatibility question - '97 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft compatibility question - '97 4.0 SOHC

tac40

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi,

Do camshafts have to be replaced in "pairs" on this motor, or is an aftermarket camshaft (Melling) compatible with an OEM cam on the opposite side? I really don't wan't to buy yet another expensive part if I can avoid it, but I also don't want to cause an imbalance and horrible performance by mis-matching cams.

Mine is a '97 Sport with a 4.0 VIN "E" motor and I made the mistake of letting the L/H camshaft rust rather severely while the motor was out and apart for repair. It's far too pitted to salvage so I had to purchase another. The quickest and easiest to get was a Melling #MC-1375 , but I don't know if it's compatible with the grind/profile of the OEM Ford cams that I have for the R/H side.

As for the R/H cam, I have two of them. The original one that was in the cracked head that started this repair/adventure, and another that came with a used junk-yard head that I bought to replace the cracked one. I noticed elsewhere on the forum that someone provided the following Ford camshaft part number references:

- Left camshaft F7TZ-6250-AEE was superseded by 7L2Z-6250-D
- Right camshaft F77Z-6250-AE

None of my stock cams bear any of those numbers. Instead, they are marked with some very faded numbers like "1008563 4" & "1010497 0". Maybe one was replaced before I owned it? .. really don't know.

Hoping someone here can shed some light on this topic. Thanks in advance.

--mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

camshaft replacement

As far as I know there are very few aftermarket camshafts with a different than stock timing, lift and duration. I'm not familiar with the Melling SOHC V6camshaft. Can you provide a link to the product?

should be fine

According to the link it is a stock replacement camshaft with the correct interchange part number. According to Summit Racing it is a stock replacement camshaft for your 1997 Explorer. I think it should be fine and there is no need to purchase the one for the right (passenger) side just to match the left (driver) side one.

What is the condition of the camshaft bearing caps and bearing surface in the head? There are no bearing inserts so if the cap or head bearing surface is damaged the only option is to replace the head.

According to the link it is a stock replacement camshaft with the correct interchange part number. According to Summit Racing it is a stock replacement camshaft for your 1997 Explorer. I think it should be fine and there is no need to purchase the one for the right (passenger) side just to match the left (driver) side one.

That's what I was hoping. Thanks!

--mike

Back