• Register Today It's free!

V6 to V8 Aerostar conversion.

Brian Skinner

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Island NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 aerostar
I was curious if there is or was kind of a step by step instruction or any form of details for performing this task. I do know i need the engine and trans. I have been reasearching even typed in v8 aerostar. All i come up with is the blue 86 thats been done, but im trying to get ideas on what needs to be done. What my plan is, trying to keep the looks and interior looking like factory but the drivetrain being a v8/auto trans. I do want the a/c to work and the cruise to work like factory. I guess my questions would be 1) are the v6 and v8(302) motor mounts in the same locations. 2) since i would like to keep it efi, would i be able to adapt the engine harness to the vehicles wiring harness or is it going to be a massive reconstruction of the wiring. Im sure i might run into something that might stall me but theres always a way around things. 3) will i need to modify the firewall/dog house area it looked like the mounts on this van was in the stock locations, but i was not exactly sure because i could not see the full details on this van.
I feel kind of like a dummy for asking these questions but i'm trying to plan ahead and hoping i wont run into too many issues. I think 1) v8s are awesome 2) it will be able to pull the van easier both in normal driving and towing and 3) a comfortable van for us especially in size since its impractial for us to have a full size van but we are thinking the 3.0 is getting a little weak and is getting hard to find parts(the intakes are a really bad design). Really restrictive as far as breathing. Have new filter installed, clean iac, maf, throttle plate, etc. But it does do ok pulling wise. Im concerned about the 4.0 because from what i researched they seem to be a head gasket and intake muncher both the ohv and sohc, not to mention in order to make the v6 better, it seems like the only company there is would be tom morana on both the v6 parts. Its not that im bashing him, its seems like that its easier to find v8 parts easier and even less costly than v6 parts. Advice will be greatly appreciated since i would like to perform this operation yet keep it looking like it came from the factory that way even with the a/c, cruise,rabs,etc. all working like factory just in place of a v6 would be just a v8. Again all information would be great. Ive been researching this for 4 years and have had no luck with any clear information about this task. Even typing in v8 aerostar, its not being exactly clear on the information that i'm looking for. Thanks brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look for a Ford RWD vehicle & transfer the drivetrain into the Aerostar. It will save you a lot of trouble. Don't expect any of the stock wiring to work. You will have to swap wiring harnesses, PCM, exhaust, motor, transmission, etc. I'm not sure if the driveshaft will match perfectly. You might have to swap that too or get a custom made one.

BrooklynBay asked that I checkout this post since I did a swap years ago but mine was so different then what you are planning on doing.

I just took a pickup more or less & sat the Aerostar on top of it. I wouldn't think the motor mounts would match up & I'm sure there aren't any aftermarket stuff out there for such a swap so the only suggestion I would have is do a lot of research.

I know I measured & measured for 3 months before starting my project and I spent a lot of time walking in the junk yards looking for ways to make things work.

I know when I built mine there was a guy here in town that did a V-8 swap in a Aerostar but that was years ago like I said. Sorry can't be more help.

Thanks for the info. I was also curious which truck you used for this conversion. I really found you aerostar very cool and not to mention very clean both inside and even in the engine bay. I thought the wiring was very clean and neat, not like the aerostar cargo van in which you could see wiring going everywhere. Not trying to bash anybody because im an aerostar fan. Ford should have never got rid of these vans. Any ideas and help would be fantastic. Thanks both perry and brooklyn. I really enjoy both your advices and all help for me is greatly appreciated

Back