Replaced alt. still not charging the battery. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced alt. still not charging the battery.

What's funny is that I sat in the Advance Auto parking lot and changed out 3 alternators before giving up. Took it to a local Mr. Alternator and they couldn't figure it out. Finaly once of the gurues came in and said check the fuse.

A freaking fuse was keeping the alternator from charging the battery. Change the fuse out. That is probably all it is. I keep spare fuses like crazy now.

Did you check the battery to make sure it doesnt have a bad cell. I had a chevy citation that use to eat alternators every couple months. I even bought a new battery right after i changed the Alt the first time. After the third alt i said screw it and took the battery back to NAPA and found out that my new battery had a bad cell. Problem solved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update.. 2005 Explorer V8 XLT Battery light on and The "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" on the message center was on after using a refurb from Auto Zone
AutoZone alt. was returned,, I was getting a full charge, but i don't think it was talking back to the truck to turn the the battery light off in the truck even though everything else was working, meaning 14volts and charging.. got a full refund..
took that money to the Ford dealer and got one from them..
Part # F8OZ-10V346-CARM This one had a 3 terminal connection I believe the AZ one only had a 2 terminal connection, even though the cable from the truck had only two wires the green and orange one.. The middle connection was not being used i guess.. any way all is well..

Got 14 Volts on the B+
Got 14 Volts on the Batt terminals
The "CHECK CHARGING SYSTEM" on the message center is off
The Battery Light is off as well..

Why do you think your '94 has a 175 amp fuse in it? I have never seen a fuse that large in a 1st gen X. 60 Amp is the highest I've seen in the fuse holder.

I'm not running the factory wires to the alternator anymore so I don't remember if there was a fusable link between the alternator and the battery/solenoid.

Is that hat your think of as a 175 amp fuse. Its not exactly a fuse, but it does act like one by melting when too much current goes through it.

~Mark

maniak
the only reason i think it has a 175 fuse is what i read here i never heard of one before but i still cant get it to charge all the fuses are good under the hood and inside the car

Battery new ..new alternator ..not charging..

I get new alternator new battery and still not have a charge i been reading all posts and you guys mention about a fuse is mi explorer 96 have the big fuse? Any body have a picture to found it i try and i am not lucky

I get new alternator new battery and still not have a charge i been reading all posts and you guys mention about a fuse is mi explorer 96 have the big fuse? Any body have a picture to found it i try and i am not lucky

Fuse #17

2010-11-10_054556_96_explorer_under_hood_fuse_box.gif

Ok I'd like to chime in here if I may I looked up the wiring diagram for the 99 mount in question Im sure the f150 is similar if you want me to look that one up I can. the 175 amp fuse powers the battery junction block and the alternator. if the short were after the junc block then it would most likely blow the smaller fuse connected to that output so the most likely cause for this is a shorted wire from the 175 fuse to the back of the alternator or the alternator itself. That wire black with dark green stripe according to the diagram should be the large wire on the alternator Mine is 98 is black with orange stripe. The wire runs across the engine pretty protected from things not much for it to be shorted on so that narrows it down to the alternator but check the wire anyway especially around the abs module and brake lines on the drivers fenderwell where it goe up to the breakout box. My guess is I would leave the new alternator in it and see what happens. The problem can be intermittent where it only happens for a moment enough to blow the fuse. Then goes away so you put the new fuse in and its gone till next tie it happens. Either way a 175 amp fuse is not easy to blow Do you have any aftermarket amps or such in car this wasnt mentioned here very common to use the lug on the breakout box for a power point because its convenient and this makes that 175 fuse power to your accessory also but unless you did that we wont go there.

Back