Greasing the slip yoke: How-to | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Greasing the slip yoke: How-to

Does anyone know what Ford uses or recommends? White lithium spray or heavy grease or neither. I'd like to do this but would prefer using the recommended lub.

Lee

Ford part Number F87A-19A506-AA GREASE CHASSIS LUBE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

imma hafta do this to mine tmro haha very nice thread =]

Great post EBINTERCEPTOR, I cant believe it was this easy. I was shopping for a good used read diff to replace mine. Nice work. Many thanks

injection needle

My 98 Sport was clunking when braking to a complete stop. After reading all the info here, I used a grease gun with an injection needle. Just shot a bunch of lube up in there into both ends and the middle. No more clunk. It's a QUICK and EASY fix for a problem that was bugging me for years!

ripped slip boot

I had the clunking problem about two years ago and fixed it by lubing the slip yoke. I used hose clamps to replace the brackets on the boot and would usually regrease it every time i changed the oil. Now after a few years of using the clamps, they managed to slice the boot. Probably from over tightening the clamp... but i noticed i was getting water in the boot when the clamp had not been tight enough once.
Anyway, does anyone know where i might be able to purchase a new boot, can't seem to find one anywhere?

So, I know this is an old thread, but does using hose clamps like this pose any vibration potential? No one seems to mention it, so I'm guessing not.

A few new words to add:

The grand official product for this is Motorcraft XG-8 Teflon based grease. A 3 oz squeeze tube costs about $8 at the Ford parts counter. I did all 3 slip joints and used about half of it. I basically peeled back one side of the boot and pumped it full of grease... probably used too much. It is the same baby-blue color as the original grease.

I wondered about balance too, but I know from reading that a lot of people use cable ties, so I did that instead, just easier and cheaper.

The easiest way to lube the slip yoke is to drill a 1/4" hole in the slip yoke and install a zerk fitting. Makes life much easier :)

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I had a co-worker ride with me and pointed out the thud. I've been driving it so long that I didn't recognize that it was making any sort of abnormal noise!

I have a 3rd gen same boot but looks a little bigger.. How in the world are you guys getting those clamps off with the car jacked up?? I've been trying for about an hr and can't even get a screwdriver under them enough to pry them up. Am i missing something here??

I have a 4 WD 2001 Explorer Sport with the thud. I can't seem to find the slip yoke....(I haven't crawled completely under the car yet) Can someone provide a general location for it?

Thanks!

Any chance of reposting the pics, I know its an old thread but I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks

Any chance of reposting the pics, I know its an old thread but I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks

The guide was made 9 years ago. I highly doubt anyone has these pics.
I'm sure someone could go out and take new pictures.

Ya I knew it was an old post, just hoping

Got it, Thanks

wonder if using a grease gun injection needle would be easier? to me.. it seems like it would be alot easier and work just as good. i need to do this, im getting the 'clunk' when shifting.

I picked up a grease gun injection needle to make this simpler at the next 100k mark... which isn't that far off!

Just an FYI for anyone that might be wondering; the slip yoke on my 91 Explorer on the front passenger axle shaft had a seal on the end. I had removed the outer axle shaft to replace a U-Joint and noticed the seal. If you simply spray lube under the boot or apply grease to the exposed splines, the seal will likely wipe most of it off the first time your suspension is cycled.

For mine, I used brake cleaner on both splined halves and then wiped it down best I could. I then applied Sta-Lube Marine Grease inside the differential half (past the seal) and on the outside of the outer axle half. This should ensure all the splines are receiving grease. I then used some of the metal clips that were used from the factory (I'm still not sure what they're called exactly but "keystone clamp" is very close).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bringing back an old thread. I just finished doing some other maintenance on my '94 Sport and noticed that my slip yoke boot is torn all the way around one of the grooves in the rubber, it must have happened recently while off-road, there hasn't been any symptoms.

I'm not sure how quickly I can replace this, is there any kind of temporary fix I can do, or should I stop driving it until I can replace the boot/figure out how to replace it.

I tried searching for a thread on this and couldn't find anything.

Back