Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
Pump and Vacuum Tank

Pump and Vacuum Tank location
Nice rust on the radiator support and frame mount. lol.
I hate rust.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Washer Bottle and Water Methanol Hose

I ran the Water Methanol hose to near where it is going to end up and capped it to keep it clean till I have time to finish it.
Also here is a picture of under the washer bottle where I assume I am going to tap into for the supply. The washer motor has two ports on it, I was contemplating using the one for the rear washer since I am planning to get rid of the whole rear wiper system anyway. Then I figured it would probably suck air in through the front washer nozzles. There may be a one way check valve in there but it could go bad if there is one and that would lead to an engine failure most likely if it allowed air to be sucked in instead of water methanol. Later I plan to install a Safeinjection device and a water meth flow gauge.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Nice location on the pump!
When I did mine I ended up using a solenoid so that the vacuum wouldn't keep pulling meth when not under boost. When power is applied to the pump, the solenoid opens.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sno-30100?seid=srese1&gclid=CMnKt8q-48ACFRNffgoddD0Auw

I also tapped a hole in my windshield washer tank. I used a bulkhead fitting.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sno-40080

Using the bulkhead fitting saved me grief in working with different hose outside/inside diameters. No leaks!

Pump

Thanks Dono!
I have been thinking about where to install for a week now and yesterday it just came together after I pulled the wheel well off. I really would have liked to install it all on the drivers side for weighing down that side since it lifted the most previously. Besides I already moved the battery to the passenger side for clearance reasons with the M122 install. I am hoping that the drivers side doesn't start to lift again now. I would still like to see pictures of your install if you have any you could share. Especially the washer bottle since I have not finished that yet. Any words of advice on that? I don't want any leaks.

fitting

When I did mine I ended up using a solenoid so that the vacuum wouldn't keep pulling meth when not under boost. When power is applied to the pump, the solenoid opens.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sno-30100?seid=srese1&gclid=CMnKt8q-48ACFRNffgoddD0Auw

I also tapped a hole in my windshield washer tank. I used a bulkhead fitting.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sno-40080

Using the bulkhead fitting saved me grief in working with different hose outside/inside diameters. No leaks!

I ordered that bulkhead fitting last night, does it really seal up? That is my main concern, I don't want any fluid leaks that could prevent me from being allowed on the race track.

I was planning to install my nozzle in the air tube before the throttle plate to avoid the need for a check valve, I will have to move some things on my air tube though to keep water methanol from getting sprayed into my IAC hose or PCV fresh air hose. I wonder if the "Safeinjection" unit I was looking at has a check valve in it already. I will have to look into that more.

I did have issues with my bulkhead fitting, but it was where the hose pushed in to the fitting. My routing wasn't perfect, and the hose was being pulled sideways enough to stress the hose connection. I just used a longer piece of hose with a loop in it. That took care of the issue.

Also, when I installed the bulkhead fitting, I used automotive goop. It stays flexible, and ensures a great seal. I never had an issue with the bulkhead fitting sealing around the hole I made in the tank. I have to say, I love this goop stuff. It is more of a glue than gasket maker, but remains flexible, like a permatex style gasket in a tube.

Attachments

• goop.jpg
    goop.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 237

With quite a few people needing extra space, has anyone tried to use the old 91-97 rear WW reservoir to feed the front wipers? The line is already there for most of the truck.

It wouldn't be hard to add a line from the rear roof area, over to the left storage pocket where the jack is, and the 91-97 rear reservoir mounts. It would require adding a wire or two from the front WW pump circuit to the back area.

I saw a 97 truck the other day and thought of buying that rear tank to possibly do that for mine. Check out one of those pre-98's with a rear wiper, and see if you think it would be slick to have that instead of the front tank.

Goop

Thanks Dono,
I just ordered Goop, I have a little tube of something that came with the Snow kit but don't know what it is or if it is any good. I read about that Goop stuff while researching adding fittings to the washer bottle but forgot to order it. Also thanks for sharing your experiences with the hose and using a loop to keep stress off of it. That was the kind of stuff I was looking for since I am trying to get it done before Sunday which is our second big race at Maple Grove. I really am not expecting to be able to use it, since I have to tune for it and probably wont have time but at least I will try to get it as ready as possible.

CDW6212R,
That sounds very interesting. Something I may have to do if I end up running an expensive blend of water methanol and don't want to waste it on the windshield. I will have to look for some pictures of what your talking about for the 91-97's.

If you can get the kit plumbed by Sunday, install the smallest jet so you can use the kit. You will still see benefit, and it wont be drastic enough to have to re-tune.
A lot of guys don't seem to like to make meth dependent tunes just in case they run out of meth, or the pump quits, etc. Im sure you have a plan in place for that already though.
I can hardly wait to hear about Sundays results.

I had just enough spare time yesterday to get the 97 rear wiper reservoir. It's held in by two 10mm bolts, and you can remove the rubber fill hose and grommets by hand. I didn't get any of the fluid lines though, to use that it'd be best to get some of that extra line that goes from there, up to the rear hatch. Or get some of the long piece from a 98-01, that runs along the right floor. The pump is of course a single outlet thing. I'm wondering if there's a chance of installing the 98-01 front pump into that older rear reservoir.

For your truck you can use it as it is, to feed your front wiper alone, since you plan to do away with the rear wiper.

Engine

No, I have not replaced any head gaskets or bolts.
The engine is as bone stock as I brought the truck home from a junkyard with 104,000 miles on it 6 years ago.

Snow Performance?

Did you purchase the Snow Performance universal Stage 2 kit that relies on the MAF sensor? It seems like the one suited for forced induction and easily implemented. I'm looking forward to reading what effect it has on your system.

I did a 4th speed WOT pull with my own tune and experienced a strange engine anomaly at 4900 rpm. I immediately released the accelerator. At first I assumed that the transmission started to downshift. After looking at the datalog I found that the IAT was only 135 degrees but rapidly increasing. However, the spark advance was 20 degrees. I had made some changes to the MTF to adjust AFR that reduced the computed load which increased the advance. The tune I got from James was more conservative - only 11.5 deg at 2800 rpm increasing to 13 deg at 5000 rpm decreasing to 10.25 at 6250 rpm. I now think I experienced detonation.

Be very careful attempting to achieve 18 degrees advance at WOT with high boost. Maximum advance doesn't always mean maximum power.

Water Methanol

Yes, I did get the Snow Performance Stage 2.
The interesting thing is that the controller has a dial/switch that allows you to choose BOOST or MAF to trigger the spray. I was planning on going with the MAF setting. I am only basing that on what I have read, which says for roots style blowers to use the MAF set up. For screw type and centrifugal I have read to use the boost setting. (roots builds boost right away, screw and centrifugal build boost progressively).
I don't think I will even get close to 18, I am a long way off from even adjusting timing. I still have to finish the installation. I read an interesting post here.
http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8051
It states to tune for an approximate(.5 to .75) half point change in A/F(richer) to get amount of flow set, then move on to raising boost and then changing A/F ratio's, then timing. My boost is not adjustable like a turbo so I will skip that part. I am not sure what I want to do with A/F yet either so I may just play with A/F and timing after achieving a .5 drop in A/F during spray.

do you have any concerns about what a meth kit can, or may do to the rotors? i have heard some people say it can rip the teflon off of them. then again that is what i have heard. that is the one thing that has kinda given me cold feet on using a meth kit.

W/m

There is allot of things stated from both sides of the fence. Most things I have read from the manufactures state no damage. There was different coatings on superchargers, the newer ones are not supposed to come off like the older coatings and mine is a 2012. I figure I may have to remove the supercharger in about a year and a half to change my injectors so the O2 sensor rapid response test can run. If I have not had to remove it before then for another reason. That is also assuming everything holds up till then. lol.

Washer bottle for water methanol tank

I was working double shifts a few days this week so I am still recovering from lack of sleep. I did a little work last night to hopefully make todays tasks a little easier and less time consuming.
Since I do not have any room left I decided to use the washer bottle for the water methanol tank. Thanks to Dono I had ordered some Goop so I would have what I needed. I had ordered a washer/coolant tank assembly with level sensor off eBay and it showed up this week. I got to putting the fitting in last night to make sure the Goop had time to cure. I will test it for leaks before installing it. There was a little tube of something called E6000 that came with the Snow kit but it looked kind of old and I was wondering if it had dried up.It seems to be Goop but I am glad I got a larger tube of it that I knew was good anyway.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 210
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 222

W/m

I got the water methanol all installed except for 2 wires, ground which I am going to put a toggle switch on (for disable purposes), and the MAF wire.
I wont be using it tomorrow at the race at Maple Grove. When I was all done I went to get gas and noticed my headlights flickering, never did that before. I checked for AC voltage at the battery with the truck running and found .19 volts AC. I checked my 4 door to make sure I wasn't crazy and sure enough it was at .01 AC volts. So I grabbed my spare alternator and installed it in the supercharged truck and checked it again. .01
I guess I avoided a possible breakdown, good thing since MapleGrove Raceway is about 60 miles away from me. Sure would suck to break down and have to be towed that far.
Supposed to be 82 degrees tomorrow. I don't expect very fast 1/4 mile times in those temperatures. I will just go for consistency.
Latest pics.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 223
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 205

Supposed to be 82 degrees tomorrow. I don't expect very fast 1/4 mile times in those temperatures.
Latest pics.

so what your saying is a disappointing 13.4 then? :D

good catch on the alt. i know i am waiting to see what you run, along with a few other people. good luck!

Run

I am expecting to run high 13's or a low 14 if it is 82 degrees out.
On my way!

Edit:
As predicted it ran a 13.98,14.01 during time trials. First round I broke out with a 13.93 when I dialed in at 13.95.
I lost the numbers game on that one. lol.
Temps were in the 80's too, would have been perfect for testing out Water Meth injection. I will have to finish the water meth next weekend,
and then find some time off to get to the track for a Test and Tune session.

Back