rebuild the 4.0 or swap 5.0 and aod.... again | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rebuild the 4.0 or swap 5.0 and aod.... again

mineman_Bruce

Reaction score
City, State
lake Stevens Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford ranger
My 4.0 is near the end of the road. Lifter ticks. Intermittent stalling out issues. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes to start again sometimes right away. Never any symptoms. Never any codes. Lower power then I think is normal. 3/4 - floored to make I down the highway. Replaced ect, cleaned maf, full tune up including fuel filter and had a shop do an injector and fuel rail service. Pump is putting out 42 psi. New clutch. And now there was a a chunk of a snap ring when I drained the tranny. I've put nearly 3 grand into this so I'm determined to make it work. This is going to be over landing and dd rig and planned on pulling a small dinoot rtt trailer. Shops quoted me 2836.00 for a balanced bottom end rebuild and new head castings assembled. On the other hand I have a rebuilt 302 and aod combo sitting in my 88 bronco that isn't going to be driven a whole lot. I need this be done in a week and under 3k. When I get out next year I'll be starting college promptly. I'm ok with 16 mpg if it would do 65 with out so much damn pedal. I get 200 miles on the dot from full to empty with the 5 speed. I hear the 4.0 is supposed be a nice motor and have plenty of power but I've yet to see it even after going down to 31s. 3:73 gears don't help much but still.

So rebuild 4.0 and maybe a duff tuff chip and headers, or do a complicated 5.0 swap I can't smog.

Back