Regards from Iceland | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Regards from Iceland

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

38 vs IFS

38´s and IFS pose no problem. We have a lot of trucks in Iceland running that combination. Toyota Hilux and LandCruisers, Izusu Troopers, Nissan Pathfinders. Some guys have even modified the 120 LC for 44" on IFS :eek:
I´ve had a Trooper on 38"s and even a Sidekick on 36"s and the IFS didn´t even notice the change :cool:

Yeah, the terrain for 'wheelin is very forgiving in Iceland and trucks up there barely see american highway speeds, the commutes are usually very short and that is one bad explorer

I kinda miss living in Keflavik

38´s and IFS pose no problem. We have a lot of trucks in Iceland running that combination. Toyota Hilux and LandCruisers, Izusu Troopers, Nissan Pathfinders. Some guys have even modified the 120 LC for 44" on IFS :eek:
I´ve had a Trooper on 38"s and even a Sidekick on 36"s and the IFS didn´t even notice the change :cool:

Don't you guys typical have problem of wheel bearing failure due to the width of the wheel and unsprung weight? I would think you're running 4" backspace on 12" steel, right?

how did you increase the wheel base by moving the IFS system if you have?
I can't tell by the picture if you also moved the wheel base for the rear...

(I own 2002 explorer sport).... I know that Thrandur Arnthorsson, host of the www.4x4offroads.com used nissan 35" clearance fenders (sport-trac in iceland). Do you know any fender makers for my model in iceland? I couldn't find anyone in US.

Please advise.

Sure

Don't you guys typical have problem of wheel bearing failure due to the width of the wheel and unsprung weight? I would think you're running 4" backspace on 12" steel, right?
That is correct, it´s about 3.75-4" backspace and nobody expects the same durability from the wheel bearings under these stresses. Many travel with a spare bearing to be prepared for a failure. Many also take a few hours every year to repack and retighten the front wheel bearings to be prepared for the winter. I would say that if moderately used a front wheel bearing should last 30-60k. miles for most.

how did you increase the wheel base by moving the IFS system if you have?
I can't tell by the picture if you also moved the wheel base for the rear...

Nothing was moved or changed in the front. I only moved the rear axle 3 cm (1.2 inches) rearwards using homemade relocation plates.

(I own 2002 explorer sport).... I know that Thrandur Arnthorsson, host of the www.4x4offroads.com used nissan 35" clearance fenders (sport-trac in iceland). Do you know any fender makers for my model in iceland? I couldn't find anyone in US.

I don´t know what flares they used on his Sport Track but me and the guy who modified the truck for him, work at the same company (the Ford importer/dealership for Iceland) and I can check with him and get back to you. One person there had a 35" Sport Track with flares similar to Bushwacker´s but I can also check if those are icelandic.

Untill then,
ExIce

ExIce,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Practically speaking, I'm not knowledgeable on extending the rear wheel base and how exactly it's done. From what I have read from various threads, it seems to require a new rear driveshaft and new spring position welding. Can you elaborate on your homemade relocation plate and how it works w/o the custom driveshaft and new spring positions?

In addition, I'm wondering if it's also a popular setup to install 4" superlift for the 38" tire setup.

I currently have 4" lift spring from superlift and 2" torsion lift on the front. I'm hoping to keep the rear lift setup and and install front superlift kit from www.summitracing.com . Wondering about your thoughts?
(My suspension setup is primarily for local/highway/ and snow-terrain. I do not do rock crawling or anything too wild.)

In the meantime, I'll wait for your next response ( + 'bout iceland fender flares for the sport).

Thanks,

Flares

Hi,

for the Sport Trac Þrándur used icelandic made flares for Nissan Navara modified for the Sport Trac. The other I was talking about used Bushwacker´s.

I´m going on vacation tomorrow to try out my Splorer and I will do a rough writeup when I get back, with pictures.

Until then, :salute:
ExIce

n tomorrow to try out my Splorer and I will do a rough writeup when I get back, with pictures.

Until then, :salute:
ExIce

Where's the write up?? I want to see this thing in action!

If 38s will fit with only a 4" body lift, is it reasonable to think that a smaller version could be built with only a stock ex, 33s, and fender trimming and flares?

Fenders

ExIce

Where and what fender flares did you get for your truck.
By the way love the look

Back