15 Sport Rough Idle/Shudder On Cold Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

15 Sport Rough Idle/Shudder On Cold Start

Ecobeast88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi everyone! Had my 15 sport for almost a month and right at 1600 miles. Been a nice ride so far however. I started noticing when I "cold" start it, The idle is rough for 45 secs to 1 min. It's very noticeable can feel it shudder and feels like a miss fire in the seat and floor. It's annoying because I have to wait for it to stop idling rough to start driving or it starts bucking. Been using shell 93 octane since day 1.

I had been to the dealer twicein one month for a water in mirror turn signal and the windshield cowl had a big gap in the middle where it didn't even touch the windshield. Both replaced under warranty. All things I didn't notice at delivery of course. How many times can I take this thing back to the dealer before they start looking at me funny? I don't want to take it for the rough idling and they say that it's normal. Figured I would post here 1st. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone! Had my 15 sport for almost a month and right at 1600 miles. Been a nice ride so far however. I started noticing when I "cold" start it, The idle is rough for 45 secs to 1 min. It's very noticeable can feel it shudder and feels like a miss fire in the seat and floor. It's annoying because I have to wait for it to stop idling rough to start driving or it starts bucking. Been using shell 93 octane since day 1.

I had been to the dealer twicein one month for a water in mirror turn signal and the windshield cowl had a big gap in the middle where it didn't even touch the windshield. Both replaced under warranty. All things I didn't notice at delivery of course. How many times can I take this thing back to the dealer before they start looking at me funny? I don't want to take it for the rough idling and they say that it's normal. Figured I would post here 1st. Thanks guys!

Got a 15 sport to...just over 1000k..no issues with mine..I would take it to the dealer for sure...a $50k car should run perfect!

Yeah I understand I'm going to be calling my dealer Tom. Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I don't think I'm the only one out there.

Yeah I understand I'm going to be calling my dealer Tom. Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I don't think I'm the only one out there.

My 14 Sport had similar issue, threw Trouble Code and found Turbo Wastegate actuator stuck open.Had to be taken apart and cleaned.

Several others had issues with their Sport and dealers replaced the throttle body.

My 14 Sport had similar issue, threw Trouble Code and found Turbo Wastegate actuator stuck open.Had to be taken apart and cleaned.

Several others had issues with their Sport and dealers replaced the throttle body.

Did yours throw a engine or wrench light? I have no lights on but it sure is annoying more than anything. Hate taking something to the dealer because I hear or feel something, 99% of the time they pass it off as normal go figure.

Did yours throw a engine or wrench light? I have no lights on but it sure is annoying more than anything. Hate taking something to the dealer because I hear or feel something, 99% of the time they pass it off as normal go figure.

Didn't see Check Engine light just got info back from diagnostic report that it threw DTC #P0299 which is something I read about on the F150 EcoBoost Forums.

Search throttle body on this section of the forum there are some older threads with info on EcoBoost rough idle at start.

Hey Ecobeast88,

I'm Todd, one of the Ford Reps on the forum. I'm glad to have you in the Explorer Family, and your happiness with the vehicle is my # 1 concern.

Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and preferred Ford Dealer. You may locate one near you (and make an appointment online, in some cases) here.

Thanks,

Todd

that short a time shouldn't be enough to develop deposits in either injectors, waste gates, or intake valves.

You know without codes in the computer (and at a bare minimum they should do a deep read of it for free) it almost sounds like maybe bad gas.

and I'd almost want to tell you to drive it just about empty, fill with fresh and a can of say seafoam or techron. pick your poision, I like seafoam.

I'd also give a moments thought to some (not a whole bottle) of stabil ethanol fuel treatment. yes I know it's supposed to work fine on E10 . . . . . . .

but that fuel treatment, like seafoam will also remove water and other fuel contaminants in the lines and tank. so again pick your poision but I'd almost want to give that a whirl.

however - again computer codes - I'd want then to give me a print of what the computer is seeing. also might as well, let them keep it over night - and start it up with the scanner attached.

Seems we have an idle / shudder issue with our truck @ start up. This has happened recently, within the last 2 or 3 fuel fills. I only use top tiered 91 octane from either 76 or Shell. Mostly occurs on cold starts or when the truck has cooled down quite a bit. I've searched the forums and found similar threads. I really did not know which one to post this problem so I figured I'd start a thread on it. Apologies to the mods in advance, please merge as needed. I just don't want my post for help to get lost in old threads.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php...

We have a 2015 EXSport with currently 10393.1 miles on the clock. It is currently at Galpin Ford being addressed with 3 other problems. I received a VM message from the SA yesterday afternoon stating the rough idle is due to the nature of the 3.5 EB motors; that excess gas is being delivered to heat up the catalytic converters faster because of the turbos. Therefore, it is deemed "normal characteristics". I find that hard to believe considering it never happened before. From what I have read on these and the F150 forums, diagnosis has been from normal operation, to bad TBs, and bad/dirty turbo actuators. I am quite frankly tired of the usual "normal operation" or "unable to duplicate" excuses being made while addressing customer issues. After owning multiple Ford vehicles since 2001, I must say the new ones seems to be a crap shoot when it comes to quality. I had the same frustrations when dealing with issues on our 2015 Mustang GT in which I finally gave up and fixed the remaining issues myself. (aftermarket parts are best over OEM sometimes)

So with that said, is there a FordService representative on this board? I need to escalate this as we aren't going to be accepting issues as normal going forward.

Rant off...thanks for your help.

Seems we have an idle / shudder issue with our truck @ start up. This has happened recently, within the last 2 or 3 fuel fills. I only use top tiered 91 octane from either 76 or Shell. Mostly occurs on cold starts or when the truck has cooled down quite a bit. I've searched the forums and found similar threads. I really did not know which one to post this problem so I figured I'd start a thread on it. Apologies to the mods in advance, please merge as needed. I just don't want my post for help to get lost in old threads.

We have a 2015 EXSport with currently 10393.1 miles on the clock. It is currently at Galpin Ford being addressed with 3 other problems. I received a VM message from the SA yesterday afternoon stating the rough idle is due to the nature of the 3.5 EB motors; that excess gas is being delivered to heat up the catalytic converters faster because of the turbos. Therefore, it is deemed "normal characteristics". I find that hard to believe considering it never happened before. From what I have read on these and the F150 forums, diagnosis has been from normal operation, to bad TBs, and bad/dirty turbo actuators. I am quite frankly tired of the usual "normal operation" or "unable to duplicate" excuses being made while addressing customer issues. After owning multiple Ford vehicles since 2001, I must say the new ones seems to be a crap shoot when it comes to quality. I had the same frustrations when dealing with issues on our 2015 Mustang GT in which I finally gave up and fixed the remaining issues myself. (aftermarket parts are best over OEM sometimes)

So with that said, is there a FordService representative on this board? I need to escalate this as we aren't going to be accepting issues as normal going forward.

Rant off...thanks for your help.

Hi rvlyssup,

I just replied to your PM; glad you were able to find us. Let's get this shudder issue resolved!

Rachel

Hi rvlyssup,

I just replied to your PM; glad you were able to find us. Let's get this shudder issue resolved!

Rachel
Replied to you as well...looking forward to it.

Thank You again!

rvlyssup, your thread has been merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

Back