2016 / 2017 Explorer - hitch cover removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 / 2017 Explorer - hitch cover removal

fwrogg

Reaction score
City, State
Colfax, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I have looked through the manual and googled but can not find how to remove the hitch cover on a 2016 explorer. Seems it was left out of the manual. If someone knows and can post he instructions or point me to them that would be appreciated. Thanks

Frank

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have looked through the manual and googled but can not find how to remove the hitch cover on a 2016 explorer. Seems it was left out of the manual. If someone knows and can post he instructions or point me to them that would be appreciated. Thanks

Frank

Unless it changed here are the instructions.

Towing.JPG

2016 Hitch cover

Look underneath it. You will see an indent. Put fingers in there and pull towards you. Once the 2 bottom tabs release, wiggle the top part out.

Bad design. I figure the tabs will break off or the whole thing will drop off within a year.

On the bright side. This is the ONLY thing I don't like about my new Explorer.

Look underneath it. You will see an indent. Put fingers in there and pull towards you. Once the 2 bottom tabs release, wiggle the top part out.

Bad design. I figure the tabs will break off or the whole thing will drop off within a year.

On the bright side. This is the ONLY thing I don't like about my new Explorer.

Thanks, for the reply, will give it a try.

I asked my salesman yesterday when I bought mine and the guy did not know. He knew they changed it because the tabs on the 2015 and priors break often.

I got rear-ended today, and it popped right off :thumbdwn:

Lets see how much they cost to replace now.
(I'm ok, and that is all that took any damage. his little celica didn't fair as well.)

Mark

The rear panel uses four simple plastic tabs along the bottom that are easily popped out from the main bumper with a sharp pull using the indented portion in the center. Along the top is a different story, there's a long metal bar with a grove in it, notched to accept the top flat, wedge shaped plastic pieces built into the cover. To remove the top you need to pull to the rear, NOT upwards. The easiest way to release it is to pull on one side so you are not competing with the friction of all four plastic wedges in the metal groves at the same time. If you're unsure, use a flashlight and shine it up through the bottom once you pop the bottom off and you'll see that lifting up will break the tabs but pulling straight to the rear will release the friction locks. My 2016 does not have any 1/4 turn pieces and I think this new system will accommodate reuse a bit easier.

So..
  • The top and bottom connect different.
  • All the connections along the top are friction based.
  • There are not 1/4 turn tabs or any externally available tabs.
  • The bottom has to come out first.
  • Using the gap created by loosening the bottom ~1" you can pull on either side towards the rear to remove the friction connectors along the top.

https://goo.gl/photos/StmWBHDwqFWmUJgs7
https://goo.gl/photos/LcgUBTB5wUo7CKV4A

Welcome to the Forum DavidPhoenix.:wave:
Thanks for your post.

Peter

Greetings! We just picked up our new 2017 and can't find in any of the literature, any information about accessing the trailer hitch. How do we properly remove the cover plate covering the hitch without damaging it? Thank you!

Another video from a dealership (if you don't trust the first guy ;-) )

Greetings! We just picked up our new 2017 and can't find in any of the literature, any information about accessing the trailer hitch. How do we properly remove the cover plate covering the hitch without damaging it? Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I see that you have already been assisted by supr squirrel.
Congratulations on the new Explorer and Happy Motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

Love it! Thanks so much for posting both videos. It was a tremendous help to us and techs here on this side of the pond!

new to forum with a couple of questions.
1. I'm guessing Ford foolishly did not equip the rear hatch of the 2016 Explorer with a glass the opens since I can't find a button nor any mention in the owners manual???
2. Trying to get the hitch cover off but it seems like I'm gonna pull the whole bumper cover off. Is there a certain way to remove or should I just keep pulling?

I find it odd that you didn't find out about the rear glass not opening separately from the hatch before you bought but, that's just me. As far as the hitch cover, yes, there is a 'procedure' to open it but, it's not the same as my '15. I'm sure you'll find it in your owner's manual or, you can wait for someone else to pull up and give you the lowdown. Welcome to the forum, by the way. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new to forum with a couple of questions.
1. I'm guessing Ford foolishly did not equip the rear hatch of the 2016 Explorer with a glass the opens since I can't find a button nor any mention in the owners manual???
2. Trying to get the hitch cover off but it seems like I'm gonna pull the whole bumper cover off. Is there a certain way to remove or should I just keep pulling?
Using the 'Search' feature I found this thread which I also guess applies to the 2016 model. Your post has been merged with it.

Peter

Back