• Register Today It's free!

Question on something.

cowboyearl

Reaction score
City, State
columbia kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 exployer limited
After driving about 30 miles and pulled into garage and shut engine off. Unloaded groceries. Went back out to close lid. Notice water by left muffler about the size of a dinner plate. I started up and laid down to check it. There was cold air coming from between 3 tubes. It was really fast air. I had my front and back air on high fan speed. I assume this is the drain vent for the rear air. What are the metal tubes? When I turned the air off the tubes were very hot.

Something I found about a month ago. I noticed water dripping from the Y where the pipe splits to go to the mufflers. I took it to a muffler shop and put it on the rack. The man said they hadn't finished the weld. Did a tack weld and fixed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the tubes you are referring to are coolant lines that are run from the compressor to the back of the vehicle. The water you are seeing is the drain for the rear system. All perfectly normal.

Yep, I have noticed it when running my rear AC.

I believe the tubes you are referring to are coolant lines that are run from the compressor to the back of the vehicle. The water you are seeing is the drain for the rear system. All perfectly normal.
Would they get very hot when the A/C is shut off as the OP indicated?

Peter

After driving about 30 miles and pulled into garage and shut engine off. Unloaded groceries. Went back out to close lid. Notice water by left muffler about the size of a dinner plate. I started up and laid down to check it. There was cold air coming from between 3 tubes. It was really fast air. I had my front and back air on high fan speed. I assume this is the drain vent for the rear air. What are the metal tubes? When I turned the air off the tubes were very hot.

Something I found about a month ago. I noticed water dripping from the Y where the pipe splits to go to the mufflers. I took it to a muffler shop and put it on the rack. The man said they hadn't finished the weld. Did a tack weld and fixed it.

Don't know what the tubes are but my wife's '15 Sport drips water back in that location. I assumed it was the rear air which we keep on to help cool the cabin. I'll be following this to see if there is any other explanation. I notice it more on very warm and humid days which makes me think AC.

Would they get very hot when the A/C is shut off as the OP indicated?

Peter

Yes.

After cold coolant goes through the evaporator core, it absorbs heat and lowers the air temperature.

Thus the return line back to the condenser/compressor is hot/warm.

Go to your outside unit on your house and find a bare spot of copper. One line is cold the other is hot.

Same with heater core, one side gets hot the other one not so much because the heat has been transferred away.

Yes.

After cold coolant goes through the evaporator core, it absorbs heat and lowers the air temperature.

Thus the return line back to the condenser/compressor is hot/warm.

Go to your outside unit on your house and find a bare spot of copper. One line is cold the other is hot.

Same with heater core, one side gets hot the other one not so much because the heat has been transferred away.

Refrigerant lines should only be hot between the compressor and the orifice. I don't know where the orifice is for the rear A/C, but it's the supply line up to the orifice that would be hot. The return line should be cool to cold.

Yes all completely normal.

Back