Emergency hazard flashers on a 2011 Ford Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Emergency hazard flashers on a 2011 Ford Explorer.

Rowan928

Reaction score
City, State
AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Have just purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer and cannot find the emergency flashers. Needed them desperately at 3:00 this am when taking a family member to the hospital... WHERE ARE THEY? !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! Is it the red triangle In the middle below the navigation screen? That's just going from a pic though.

Rowan928 said:
Have just purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer and cannot find the emergency flashers. Needed them desperately at 3:00 this am when taking a family member to the hospital... WHERE ARE THEY? !!

Reminder: that's what ambulances are for. And hazards do not exempt you from traffic laws. Just sayin'. Hope all is well with your family member :)

You'll find it when you start messing with your MFT unit. It's where your finger wants to rest while you're inputing things and you'll trigger it all the time by accident until you get used to it. Poor design.

agreed - for the first little while everytime i went to use MFT i set off the hazards - especially if my wife used it from the passenger seat. Her bracelet kept hitting it.

not the best spot for this - on top of the screen would be much better.

As other have said, its the red triangle below the MFT screen. It doesn't look like the hazards - it looks like a little recessed sticker, but it is - it's a capacitive touch button which I find very tricky to turn on (except - as others have said - when I'm playing with MFT) and trickier to turn off.

I thought my eject button on the CD player and the hazard button were faulty at first. They only seemed to work sporadically or if I pressed extra hard. What I've found that works consistently is to hold your finger on the button for a little bit (maybe a 1/2 second or so). This must be as intended - it makes sense to prevent accidental turning on of the hazards or ejecting a CD (although I've still accidentally turned on the hazards a handful of times). These are the only two buttons I've found so far that act this way.

You'll find it when you start messing with your MFT unit. It's where your finger wants to rest while you're inputing things and you'll trigger it all the time by accident until you get used to it. Poor design.

Totally agree! I hit it all the time by accident.

Page 325 of your owner's manual? :dunno:

HAZARD FLASHER CONTROL
The hazard flasher should be used
when your vehicle is disabled and is
creating a safety hazard for other
motorists.
The hazard flasher control is located
on the center of the instrument
panel. The hazard flashers will operate when the ignition is in any
position or if the key is not in the ignition.
• Press the flasher control and all front and rear direction signals will
flash.
• Press the flasher control again to turn them off.
Lots of good info in there.

ITS so easy to accidently brush against it when manually operating the 8 inch mft screen and turn it on,but not so easy to turn it off. It takes repeated hard presses to turn the dam thing off. I have tried lightly touching it to hard presses and sometimes it takes several seconds to find the right combination to turn it off. Its a distraction as my eyes are off the road and i am swearing at the damm car.

ITS so easy to accidently brush against it when manually operating the 8 inch mft screen and turn it on,but not so easy to turn it off. It takes repeated hard presses to turn the dam thing off. I have tried lightly touching it to hard presses and sometimes it takes several seconds to find the right combination to turn it off. Its a distraction as my eyes are off the road and i am swearing at the damm car.

FYI, my dealer told me that every other control is touch sensitive, but the hazard button is, apparently, "heat" sensitive so just holding your finger on it for a bit should trigger it, not pressing it...

FYI, my dealer told me that every other control is touch sensitive, but the hazard button is, apparently, "heat" sensitive so just holding your finger on it for a bit should trigger it, not pressing it...

It is not heat sensitive, they just put a timer on it so you don't brush against it and turn them on. You have to hold it for about a second.

Back