Massive coolant leak into the exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Massive coolant leak into the exhaust

cycle61

Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
'96 Explorer 4.0, 4 door, 4wd, automatic. 192k miles.

It's been using coolant for some time, coolant turns heavily rusty despite several flushes, and I can always smell it a little bit. Topped it up two days ago, drove 15-20 miles, let it sit until this morning, and the radiator is empty as far as I can see. Fill it up, start engine, and it's blowing water/coolant out the tailpipe. So much in there that it's dripping off a dozen spots along the exhaust and I can hear it bubbling in the muffler, sounds like an boat engine idling at the lake. :mad:

Drove it over a couple hundred miles of mountain pass and desert last week, and now I'm thinking it was probably low/out of coolant even then.

My thinking here: absolute best case scenario is a blown head gasket, more likely is a cracked block or head. It's leaking badly enough to dump over a gallon of coolant into the cylinder/exhaust in minutes, or less.

Input from those who are more familiar with these engines?

Video from below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXMwZ--OsGc

Ouch.

I'm not too familiar with that year but unless there's a water jacket that runs through the intake that has a failed gasket, I'd say you're spot on with your diagnosis.

Any water in the oil?

Ouch.

I'm not too familiar with that year but unless there's a water jacket that runs through the intake that has a failed gasket, I'd say you're spot on with your diagnosis.

Any water in the oil?

Pulled the top end apart today, and found a great deal of bad news. :(

The left front cylinder has significant corrosion in the intake runner, so it looks like it's been leaking water in there for quite a while.

p1169306789-4.jpg

And judging by the underside of the manifold, the oil/water mixing has been extensive. Whole top of the engine is filled with this sludge, and the coolant passages are almost completely blocked with rust and crud.

p1169306727-5.jpg

So now I'm debating between scrapping the rig, swapping in another engine (there are explorers all over CL here for $500-1000) and building up a nice little 5.0 with a Holley carb and making an Explorer GT. :D

<<snip>>

So now I'm debating between scrapping the rig, swapping in another engine (there are explorers all over CL here for $500-1000) and building up a nice little 5.0 with a Holley carb and making an Explorer GT. :D

That sounds like fun...lol

Back