Front Wheel Bearing replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Wheel Bearing replacement

thomas12

Reaction score
I had a terrible grinding noise coming front end. I suspected it was a bad wheel bearing and after jaking it up that seems to be the case. The wheel had a ton of play in it. I guess these all-wheel drive units have sealed bearings. I took it all apart but was unable to get to the actual bearing.

Do I need to buy a new bearing carrier? or whatever it's called. It doesn't seem to come apart. Also does anyone know the torque spec for the big nut that holds it on.

thanks

Thomas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hub bearing.. You need to buy the entire hub to replace the bearing. They go around $200 from your local auto part.

135 autozone last time i bought one, last year jan.

torque specs:

wheel hub nut = 157 - 214
hub and bearing assembly to steering knuckle bolt = 70 to 80

if you decide to reuse the nut (your decision) torque on the middle to high end. I've reused mine and i torque till my big butt cant move it with a 6 breaker bar. my torque wrench hits 200 and it seems like its not tight enough. So i add a break bar and finish the last few turns.

I reuse my nuts but uses loctite onto it. Just make sure you get those bearing with "Lifetime replacment" bearing. You'll be glad you do if the otherside go bad..

1998 4x4 4.0 Xvin all stock Explorer. I have a whining noise that seems to be coming from the left front wheel. I am assuming wheel bearing problems. Has anyone had this same problem and found it to be something different. I know this type of noise can travel through the drivetrain.

"1998 4x4 4.0 Xvin all stock Explorer. I have a whining noise that seems to be coming from the left front wheel. I am assuming wheel bearing problems. Has anyone had this same problem and found it to be something different. I know this type of noise can travel through the drivetrain. "

could it be this:
NOISE—“SQUEALING” OR “WHISTLING” NOISE Article No.01-11-4
FROM FRONT AXLE AREA—DRIVING AT SPEEDS
OF 16-64 KM/H (10-40 MPH)—4X4 VEHICLES
ONLY—REVISED FRONT OUTER HALFSHAFT
DUST SEALS
• FRONT AXLE—“SQUEALING” OR “WHISTLING”
NOISE FROM FRONT AXLE AREA—DRIVING AT
SPEEDS OF 16-64 KM/H (10-40 MPH)—4X4
VEHICLES ONLY—REVISED FRONT OUTER
HALFSHAFT DUST SEALS

FORD: 1998-2001 EXPLORER
2000-2001 RANGER
2001 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC, EXPLORER SPORT
MERCURY: 1998-2001 MOUNTAINEER

ISSUE
Some 4X4 vehicles may exhibit a high-pitched
“squeal” or “whistle” type noise from the front of the
vehicle at speeds from 16 to 64 km/h (10 to 40 3.
mph). This noise may be caused by the front
halfshaft excluder (dust) seals as they
rotate against the inner front hubs. The noise may
be more pronounced in cold weather conditions.

ACTION
Install new front halfshaft excluder seals on each
side of the vehicle.

need some help

when I turn left or right and depending on the weather I would get a loud grinding noise coming from the wheel i at first taught it was the cv axle so I replace my cv axle turns out its not the axle . I guessing its the wheel bearing ? how can I make sure its the bearing ?Dont want to spend the 200 for a new one and its not the bearing
thanks

wheel bearing

just replaced one on my wifes 07 explorer ironman, it was the drivers side no question about that. i got mine from ford for 270.00 ive replaced them on our old explorer from advance auto but only got a year out of them .. if yours is all wheel drive the only way to really tell is to take it off .

cheap alternative is ebay

So, I replaced the drivers side bearing after a garage hosed me on the installation of the passenger bering. All my growling went away for a few weeks, and now I have the growling/whining noise coming from the left front again.

Did I do something wrong during the installation or is there a possibility that I need to check another part that is causing the noise?

Did you make all torque specs?

What kind/brand of bearings did you use?

Torque specs, haha. My wrench did not go that high, so I eyeballed it. Part was from 1A auto parts

But are the parts Timken bearings or the cheaper ones? The cheaper ones are known to fail fast for a lot of people.

If you don't know that you made torque, the hubs may have been loose enough to grenade that fast. It's important to meet that spec for the Ex hubs.

I promise you the nuts were on there tight. That would really suck if the bearing went bad again. ANy way to quiet the noise without replacing it?

I purchased the cheap Ebay hub once, only to discover that the ABS sensor part of it was bad. After installation, my Antilock brake system light illuminated.
I tried many different things to get it to go off, over a 3 month time period. Finally, I just installed a better HUB, and the problem went away.

Nope, if it's bad, it's bad. No way to "mask" the issue that won't reintroduce itself shortly.

Is there anything else up front that could be causing this noise? Any way to isolate before ordering a new bearing?

Rockauto has Timken bearings for $101 (before 5%) discount. Just get a good hub and forget about it, don't bother with the cheap ones. It's not worth the aggravation or potential safety hazard.

Advance also has Moog (National) bearings for $138, but you can get $30 off that using code BIG30. I don't know if Moog or Timken is better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when I turn left or right and depending on the weather I would get a loud grinding noise coming from the wheel i at first taught it was the cv axle so I replace my cv axle turns out its not the axle . I guessing its the wheel bearing ? how can I make sure its the bearing ?Dont want to spend the 200 for a new one and its not the bearing
thanks
pop the wheel off and turn the hub you may feel grinding. best way is to pull the whole hub and feel it turning in your hand.

Back