• Register Today It's free!

Hard to shift.

Desicriminal

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer.
Hey guys. It's an honor to be on this forum. I recently purchased a2003 explorer sport. I have only 2 problems with it as of now. The trunk latch is broken. So I can't open it. I would appreciate someone pointing me into the right direction. I'm also having a hard time shifting in to gears. It's like I have to yank it in place. Could it be just my ****er or the slave or master cylinder or is an issue in the tranny? Once again any help is greatly appreciated.

Trupal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to try bleeding the clutch a few times. If that doesn't help, try using the vacuum type bleeder. Again, if that doesn't help time for a new CLUTCH jobs, just make sure you replace everything new (slave cylinder, pilot bearing, ect.)

Thank you ranger Al. The clutch was replaced about 30k ago. Not sure about the slave or the bearings. The motor was replaced 40 k ago. But I will be sure to go over what you said. I will post my results tomorrow. Once again, thank you.

Trupal

The clutch system is one of the toughest to remove air. So, it is going to take a few tries to get where you wanted to.

The motor was replaced 40 k ago. But I will be sure to go over what you said. I will post my results tomorrow. Once again, thank you.

How goes? I had a similar issue with my manual, and even though I was only getting fluid out, bleeding it helped immensely.

I know it is an old post, how does it go? If you have hard time bleeding and still doesn't work, inspect the brake assembly (thats the pot aluminum casting). The pivot point does break and will need to be replace.

I've been searching and reading up on these master cylinder. The proper way to bleed these system is to bench bleed the master cylinder with the entire line off and do a bleed and the master cylinder have to be at certain angle where the air will come up to the reservoir as you push in the rod in gently back and forth.

Well, I wasn't about to remove the unit. But rather put ramps onto the rear end and drive it back to lift the rear of the truck. I then do my normal bleeding and sure enough after a few tries. NO MORE AIR coming out!

Yup, the air bubble start coming out. You also want to keep an eye on the reservior making sure it does not go empty and will see small bubble coming out of the hole. I guessed the key is to be patient and take your time.

Bleeding multiple times certainly does help, but when the master/slave wears out, they simply must be replaced to get the regular operation back. Otherwise no amount of bleeding will cure a mechanical issue.

Also keep in mind a fluid change sometimes helps, just be sure to use Dex/Merc ATF in the earlier transmissions that call for Mercon, and use Mercon V in the newer ones that spec it.

Bleeding multiple times certainly does help, but when the master/slave wears out, they simply must be replaced to get the regular operation back. Otherwise no amount of bleeding will cure a mechanical issue.

Also keep in mind a fluid change sometimes helps, just be sure to use Dex/Merc ATF in the earlier transmissions that call for Mercon, and use Mercon V in the newer ones that spec it.

So which years qualify as the "newer ones"?

Having shifting 1-2 and 3-4 trouble with my recently acquired '99 4x4 Sport, that had a new clutch kit about 6k miles ago.

Thanks.

Back