Class 2 hitch and possible hitch change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Class 2 hitch and possible hitch change?

just bought a 2004 v8 xlt with a class 2 frame mounted hitch. I need to mount a 80 pound mobility scooter carrier and the scooter weighs about 250 pounds. Do I go by the tongue weight to determine if the class 2 hitch will be heavy enough since the towing weight really doesn't come into play? I will also need to use a 1.25 to 2" adapter to mount the carrier. Will the class 2 be strong enough? How hard would it be to mount a class 3 hitch to the explorer? is it as simple as unbolting the six bolts on the frame or are there hidden bolts I can't see behind the spare tire? How hard is it to remove the bumper,looks like it will also have to come off? thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2010 has the factory class 2 hitch and towing pkg. it is good for 3280 lbs. with a 400 lb.tongue wt. I have used the 2" adapter to pull my 5000lb. auto trailer but i kept my speed down to 55, no problem.So it looks to me that with the 2" adapter you should be good to go,but then again it is a personal choice. The factory max towing with a class 3 hitch is 5290lbs. Summit has a hitch that bolts on without removing the factory hitch,think i'll go that route.

a hitch that bolts on without removing the factory hitch? that would be easier. do you have a link? thanks!!

that looks like it would be easy enough to install. Is there a way I can tell if the hitch on there now is stock from the factory?

a. Total weight of scooter and carrier is 330 lbs.
b. TW rating for your Class 2 receiver is 350 lbs.

Should be perfect. Unfortunately, 1.25" to 2" adaptor I see on etrailer.com (multiple sellers) says that TW rating of receiver is reduced by 50% when you use these adaptors.

I would swap out the 1.25" hitch crossmember, and skip the add-on hitch, as they look funny to me. Although, the add-on would likely put the receiver several inches lower, making loading the scooter a bit easier.

My owners manual say's that the 1 1/4 " receiver is the only factory installed hitch,so it's most likely you have the factory hitch. good luck.

well,did some research and looks like the scooter only weighs 180 plus 60 for the carrier...but that still puts me over the limit if I have to divide the 350 by half,which would leave me with only 175 pounds max. looks like new hitch time it is.

My 2010 has the factory class 2 hitch and towing pkg. it is good for 3280 lbs. with a 400 lb.tongue wt. I have used the 2" adapter to pull my 5000lb. auto trailer but i kept my speed down to 55, no problem.So it looks to me that with the 2" adapter you should be good to go,but then again it is a personal choice. The factory max towing with a class 3 hitch is 5290lbs. Summit has a hitch that bolts on without removing the factory hitch,think i'll go that route.

You are partly correct. The V6 with HD towing package is techinically a Class 3 vehicle, with greater than 5000 lbs towing capacity (depending on other factors).

However, the hitch used for V6 vehicles and V8 vehicles is the same hitch, and is part of the Class III/IV HD towing package. For the V6, it increases tow capacity from Class II to Class III. For the V8, it increases the tow capacity from Class II to Class IV (with brakes and WDH also used, up to 7400lbs or so).

My owners manual say's that the 1 1/4 " receiver is the only factory installed hitch,so it's most likely you have the factory hitch. good luck.
The 1 ¼" hitch is the basic Class II setup, limited to 3500 lbs or so.
The 2" hitch (part of the factory HD towing package) increases to Class III (5000 or so) for V6, and Class IV (7400 lbs or so) for V8. Both were available from the factory.

My 2" Class III/IV hitch is a welded, integrated part of the stiffened 4th gen platform. Definitely factory.

Back