Solved - A4LD issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved A4LD issues.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
D

DRF

OK I have seen a bunch of similar things but none that duplicate.

1992 Ranger 4X4, 2.9L A4LD Auto (Manufactured 10/91(EDIT), has single OD band)

The sysmptoms described below happen from the first start in the morning to the last shift into the driveway. They are accompanied by a hard 1-2 shift most but not all of the time, that doesnt change much with accellerator position (taking off hard or soft).

I will say that this issue was rampant when it was below freezing in AL this past two weeks, and today seems to have gotten better at 55 Degrees. I know temperature is a factor, but I am assumong that after a 20 mile trip to work the transmission would be at OPTEMP... even at below freezing.

That being said, here goes.

No lockup with shift lever in OD, works properly in D up to 3rd & 4th gear (I get 3 shifts when using D)

if I let the three shifts in D happen and shift to OD, it shifts smoothly into OD and it works fine untill it shifts down to 2nd when stoppong, at which time it wont lock up and shifting to D is required to pull the truck.

Today when it was 54degrees, I had OD work perfectly for 5 shift cycles on the way home, and on the 6th I got a small shudder when I got to a hill.

I got the truck about a month ago, and it had been sutting up for a long time; had to replace the oil pump and clean a high amount of "gunk" out of the heads to get the valvetrain to be quiet, but it did get quiet and runs GREAT now.

The fluid is dark and reddish brown, but doesnt smell burnt.

I have read similar things caused by Govorner, Modulator, Detent cable, "Z" bracket, valve body soleniods, and wiring...

I have adjusted the detent cable all the way in, thinking that if it isnt pulling it cant be trying to hold gears from accellerator position using the cable.

Other than that I have not done much with it for lack of time.

Running in D only nets me an estimated 8MPG... KILLING ME.

I am changing fluid and filter tomorrow (adding a bottle of LUCAS) and will also adjust the bands.

Has anyone seen this issue before and know a trick I can check into while I have the pan off tomorrow?

Thanks in advance! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like the filter & fluid are way over due to be replaced. Let us know how it is after you replace the fluid & filter. Check the torque of the valve body bolts, and look at the side of the valve body gaskets for signs of deterioration.

Didnt get to the Transmission today, but will do it this week. Thanks for the patience...

I will add that I had another successful trip to the store today with no issues... maybe it was just too cold, and has old fluid/filter... Will update after Trans service.

Update

Ok did the filter and fluid change with no change. Added Lucas with the fluid. Adjusted bands...

My truck actually has a manufacture date of 10-91(Selective dyslexia struck in my O.P.). This means I have the double wrap OD band... So I adjusted to 120inch pounds and backed off 3.5 turns. (EDIT): this was wrong, see post #7

The ttransmission still shifts hard and late into 2nd, the rest shift fine. OD shifts in and shudders, and then sometimes searches for a gear (that's what it feels like).

I have not checked the governor yet, don't have time to drop xfer case till this weekend.

If someone has changed out the tranny before to a single band OD tranny, and it was adjusted for the double band it would be too loose... Would this cause the issues in OD (5th gear)?

I also checked the torque ont he valve body... the transmission is basically acting just like it did before, except the shudder in OD got worse...

will readjust the bands tomorrow and update.

A4ld pdf manual

Just found this and thought Id share...

ftp://ftp.capri.pl/user/mkozlowsk/A4LD.pdf

Awesome information on the A4LD and its parts... troubleshooting guide is nice

EDIT: According to this document, if I have a 2.9L I have a single band transmission(providing that it hasnt been changed and I dont believe it has)

This explains why my issues got worse after adjusting the OD band 3.5 turns out. So its not necessarily yhe year of your truck as I was led to believe by the posts I saw, but what engine it was behind as well.

Checked with a Ford Mechanic and he said that the only engine the double band OD A4LD tranny came behind was the 4.0L in the years from 89- mid 1992 (i think). Unless it was swapped out unknowingly for a double band A4LD, a 2.9L, 3.0L and 2.3L should have the single band OD.

:salute:

Update

Readjusted the OD band to 2 turns out from 120 inch pounds, and OD works flawlessly now, so hoorah for internet research.

Will readjust the intermediate band too, as D is acting alittle weird, and I may have gotten the 120 inch pounds off a bit. this should square me away.

I hope this thread helps someone that one day sees the same thing I have been seeing... and even if it is a repeat of the same A4LD crud, they can get the PDF out of it.

:salute:

Back