Vacuum Hose and Electrical connector ID help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum Hose and Electrical connector ID help

Abbondanza

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 4.0 OHV 170k
Anyone know what this elbow connector is for? (a sensor?) It is green with a white stripe and exits the wiring harness where the throttle position sensor plug is located (they are actually taped together)..Any help is appreciated

electric.jpg

Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is all from memory, i just chased down a vacuum leak with those hoses you have, if i recall, they're supposed to connect together!

as for the electrical plug #1 is it the level sensor for the washer fluid?

and plug #2 looks like the alternator wire.

now that i look again, in the first pic you have a yellow wire going into red, i don't recall seeing that under my hood?

this is all from memory, i just chased down a vacuum leak with those hoses you have, if i recall, they're supposed to connect together!

as for the electrical plug #1 is it the level sensor for the washer fluid?

and plug #2 looks like the alternator wire.

now that i look again, in the first pic you have a yellow wire going into red, i don't recall seeing that under my hood?

Thanks figured the intake vacuum one out, the hose coming from the VMV was hidden and the diagram here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2090843&postcount=3 helped me know to dig it out

Still trying to figure out where the black hose goes from the vacuum valve on the passenger side...

Not the washer fluid plug, that one is still plugged in.

The alternator ground is also already connected.

Thanks

Any help on this plug would be appreciated

Still trying to figure out where the black hose goes from the vacuum valve on the passenger side...

Not the washer fluid plug, that one is still plugged in.

The alternator ground is also already connected.

Thanks

Is it a vacuum hose?? Black vacuum line goes from the manifold to a vacuum reservoir (looks like a black softball) inside the passenger front fender; second vacuum line leaves the reservoir and goes into the firewall. You have to remove the inner fender liner from below to access the reservoir.

Is it a vacuum hose?? Black vacuum line goes from the manifold to a vacuum reservoir (looks like a black softball) inside the passenger front fender; second vacuum line leaves the reservoir and goes into the firewall. You have to remove the inner fender liner from below to access the reservoir.

Thanks Bob yes, the one from the vacuum reservoir (black ball) was a vacuum line that needed to connect to the upper intake manifold.

I am currently stuck on this one which was routed closely to the throttle position sensor plug:

electric.jpg

Sorry - no idea on that one. And I have a 5.0 so I can't even go look.

I checked the wiring diagram in chilton's...see no reference to a green/white wire? maybe the color of the stripe faded?

I checked the wiring diagram in chilton's...see no reference to a green/white wire? maybe the color of the stripe faded?

Maybe. I looked at on-line wiring diagram. There is a dark green/orange wire that goes to a vacuum switch related to the manual AC system. Seems logical, as this wire is near the AC compressor and throttle body and I think this vacuum switch is related to the "WOT" subsystem. No idea where the vacuum switch is, however. Good luck.

Maybe. I looked at on-line wiring diagram. There is a dark green/orange wire that goes to a vacuum switch related to the manual AC system. Seems logical, as this wire is near the AC compressor and throttle body and I think this vacuum switch is related to the "WOT" subsystem. No idea where the vacuum switch is, however. Good luck.

Thanks for trying...I see what you mean the diagram I'm looking at has a dark green/orange wire going to the Wide Open A/C cutoff relay.

Hopefully someone with an OHV 4.0 can chime and help.

Is that a push on electrical connector? I have the 4.0 OHV, and I just don't recognize it. I should though, Ive spent enough time under my hood.....

Is that a push on electrical connector? I have the 4.0 OHV, and I just don't recognize it. I should though, Ive spent enough time under my hood.....

yes it is, I vaguely remember pulling it from somewheredown behind the power steering pump towards the engine block...I defintely could not see it directly I just leaned in and used my hands as my eyes to get it free. Now I can't reverse the process without knowing what I'm looking for to re-connect...ugh

that is for the coolant temp sensor for the gauge IIRC

do you mean the coolant temp sensor that screws into the thermostat housing? It isn't for that, that one does have an elbow connector, but it has a red wire, and it is already attached on my truck.

Oil pressure switch maybe, sounds like you pulled it from the right place at least on a SOHC.

Oil pressure switch maybe, sounds like you pulled it from the right place at least on a SOHC.

I have a '96 OHV; if there's an oil pressure swtch with a connector like this on mine, I am sure I disconnected it when I installed my new heads.

I'll check into it, thanks for the idea.

***UPDATE: Turns out it was the connector for the oil pressure sender****

on my 97 OHV it has a square connector, i had to add that style connector for my oil pressure guage mod, but come to think of it the color is about right

I have a sohc. On mine it is a small vacuum line that goes on the top of the egr valve to the right of the throttle body.

Back