I replaced my steering column, and it won't start. I'm new here, and need some help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I replaced my steering column, and it won't start. I'm new here, and need some help!

watt80

Reaction score
City, State
02 mountianeer v6
i just replaced the steering column on my 02 mountianeer an cant start it.is it something with the theft switch? if so how do i reset it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome watt and good luck with ur mounty

There is a switch on the shifter column that tells the ignition that you are in park. Make sure the wire is hooked up and inserted correctly. You can check the switch by using an ohm meter.

thanks NC.i'll try that but heard that it might have somthing to do with the theft system that is stock.idk

I had a buddy change his steering column in his ford focus and he had to get the key reprogrammed. Another thing to try is to put the ignition from your old steering column in there if that's possible. Sorry couldn't be more help.

I had a buddy change his steering column in his ford focus and he had to get the key reprogrammed. Another thing to try is to put the ignition from your old steering column in there if that's possible. Sorry couldn't be more help.

I would start there. If your using the key that came with the replacement column then it won't mach the key that is programed in the theft system. Call a Ford dealer or local shop you trust and ask them what you should do. Of course they will say bring it in but if you can't start it how can you do that unless you tow it. What was the reason you had to replace it?

thanks NC.i'll try that but heard that it might have somthing to do with the theft system that is stock.idk

I have a Ford Explorer, 2008 Eddie Bauer edition I’ve lost the key. Is it possible to take the whole steering column and ignition apart and start it without the key and drive it

No

The key inserted into the ignition must match the computer or it will never run

This is the stock security system ford started in 1999 it’s called pats passive anti theft… no key, no run

Back