• Register Today It's free!

Battery Change/Reset Questions

bilkyb

Reaction score
City, State
Spicer, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT V8
Hi all. My wifes explorer has been exhibiting the problems with 4x4 that most people have with the shift control module. When reading varoius posts I have seen some say that issues with voltage may be part of or a contributing cause of this. We have just over 94K miles on the original battery and expect that it is getting weak as we have had some slow starting when it is very cold. I put a charger on it a few times over the last two days and it charges and finishes and charges and finishes so I am pretty sure I need to replace the battery without ever testing it or even reading the voltage. My questions:

1. To avoid the problems with the replacing the battery on a high mileage vehicle with the check eng. light, etc., can you put another battery in parallel connected to the battery leads so that you never lose power to the computer?

2. If not, is there a reset procedure? I have seen some posts that say something about leaving one lead disconnected and turning the key on.

3. On another note, I looked at the VIN sticker on the door but was unable to figure out the manufacture date just in case it is the shift control module. How do I tell when it was built and what generation would that make it?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all. My wifes explorer has been exhibiting the problems with 4x4 that most people have with the shift control module. When reading varoius posts I have seen some say that issues with voltage may be part of or a contributing cause of this. We have just over 94K miles on the original battery and expect that it is getting weak as we have had some slow starting when it is very cold. I put a charger on it a few times over the last two days and it charges and finishes and charges and finishes so I am pretty sure I need to replace the battery without ever testing it or even reading the voltage. My questions:

1. To avoid the problems with the replacing the battery on a high mileage vehicle with the check eng. light, etc., can you put another battery in parallel connected to the battery leads so that you never lose power to the computer?

2. If not, is there a reset procedure? I have seen some posts that say something about leaving one lead disconnected and turning the key on.

3. On another note, I looked at the VIN sticker on the door but was unable to figure out the manufacture date just in case it is the shift control module. How do I tell when it was built and what generation would that make it?

Thanks.

Removal and replacement of the battery will NOT result in a "check engine", require any "resetting", or messing around with things as you mention. imp

I am pretty sure I need to replace the battery without ever testing it or even reading the voltage.

Probably with that much mileage yes, but places like Autozone and Advance Auto Parts will test it for you free of charge to see.

To avoid the problems with the replacing the battery...

Unless the third generation vehicles are very very different changing a battery should be quick and harmless. I regularly disconnect my battery with nothing in its place while doing maintenance. All of the really important things used by the on board computer are stored in some type of flash memory.

can you put another battery in parallel connected to the battery leads so that you never lose power to the computer?

Yes, if you really wanted to...although there is no point. They even make them as adapters you can plug into the OBDII port under the steering wheel.

If not, is there a reset procedure?

If you leave the battery disconnected for something like 15 minutes the OBDII codes will reset.

was unable to figure out the manufacture date

There should be "Date = XX/XX" on the top left corner of the driver's door jamb sticker. There are online ford sites which will decode your VIN for you.

When you change the battery leave it disconnected for a couple minutes, then when you re connect let it idle for 10 min to re learn its air to fuel ratio and junk

When you change the battery leave it disconnected for a couple minutes, then when you re connect let it idle for 10 min to re learn its air to fuel ratio and junk

Ford always states it may take awhile to re-learn adaptive strategy, whatever-the-hell that really is, but I have never let 'em sit at all after re-installing or connecting the battery. I have never noticed any change in driveability. Not to worry. imp

As you have an 02 model Explorer, then the theory for failed 4WD Control Modules points at some sort of surge or spike when the battery is changed.
It has been recommended by many to disconnect the module before disconnecting and changing the battery.
This is a simple procedure of just unplugging the module.
it is located behind the glove compartment door and is screwed onto the heater fan, but you don't need to fully removeit, just unplug it.
After you have changed the battery, plug the module back in and hold your breath for 30 seconds :)

As you have an 02 model Explorer, then the theory for failed 4WD Control Modules points at some sort of surge or spike when the battery is changed.
It has been recommended by many to disconnect the module before disconnecting and changing the battery.
This is a simple procedure of just unplugging the module.
it is located behind the glove compartment door and is screwed onto the heater fan, but you don't need to fully removeit, just unplug it.
After you have changed the battery, plug the module back in and hold your breath for 30 seconds :)

Yeah, I think I killed mine, that's why I'm here looking on the boards. My '02 4x4 won't work anymore.

Some say to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes and then reconnect it and it'll sometimes come back to life. I'll let you know if it works.

* edit * nope, even leaving battery disconnected for 3 hours, still no 4x4. I guess time to buy a new 4x4 CM

** edit ** Had to buy a new CM on ebay. when I first put it in, the 4x4 low light would not go off. ended up having to go forward/backwards about 4 times before I was finally able to get it to turn off

from all the posts i read reset procedure is take off battery pos terminal. Turn key to on position and wait ten minutes. then turn key off and and put terminal back on. Hope this helps

you put another battery in parallel to be on the safe side

Back