• Register Today It's free!

Which repair manual?

BobMachus

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Front Range
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Chiltons? Haynes? Another? I know with several of my past vehicles one was often much better than the other. Any opinions?

I had to replace the lower thermostat housing in my driveway today in 23* temps. I was driving to get a new battery as the the current one is not starting the truck at 5* morning temps. I was almost to the store when a billowing cloud of steam and a strong smell of antifreeze came from under the hood at a traffic light. I turned around and went home. Once it cooled enough to stop spraying coolant and steam I could hear a hiss when I compressed the upper radiator hose. I pulled the housing and it an obvious crack about 3" long at the rear welded seam.

My new 265/65/18 Terra Trac ATIIs are great. They are quiet on the highway, great in snow and a good AT tire as well. Now I just need to get my Quicklifts installed (not likely in this weather) and some wheel spacers for looks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chiltons? Haynes? Another? I know with several of my past vehicles one was often much better than the other. Any opinions?

I had to replace the lower thermostat housing in my driveway today in 23* temps. I was driving to get a new battery as the the current one is not starting the truck at 5* morning temps. I was almost to the store when a billowing cloud of steam and a strong smell of antifreeze came from under the hood at a traffic light. I turned around and went home. Once it cooled enough to stop spraying coolant and steam I could hear a hiss when I compressed the upper radiator hose. I pulled the housing and it an obvious crack about 3" long at the rear welded seam.

My new 265/65/18 Terra Trac ATIIs are great. They are quiet on the highway, great in snow and a good AT tire as well. Now I just need to get my Quicklifts installed (not likely in this weather) and some wheel spacers for looks.

I have the Haynes manual and it´s OK, it will give you a general idea of the procedures, torque values for most nuts and bolts. Chilton manual is supposed to be the same as the Haynes. Go to Amazon and read the reviews there. HAYNES or Chilton I would say it´s the minimum you need to have for a a DIY. There is a set of factory service repair manuals which is a lot more expensive and is supposed to be complete and is what technicians use, I´ve seen them at ebay used for a fair price.

Good luck.

if you plan on doing more in depth repairs i'd recommend the ford service manuals. there are 3 books total. fyi if you have a 3-valve v8 fill the block from the thermostat housing before putting the thermostat in or the motor will over heat. I almost did that then read the ford book.

I find this one to be the best :) user name tech, password tech.

http://search.ebscohost.com/
Have to agree the Ebscohost repair manuals and wiring diagrams are hard to beat for the price. ;)
However, compared to actual Ford Workshop Manuals they are far from complete. Check Ebay pricing.

Back