Blizzard my 94 Explorer Build | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blizzard my 94 Explorer Build

well was out and about with Blizzard yesterday and I parked her at the local mall like area as me, my mom, my dad, my sister, and my youngest brother so that we could look at getting a new pair of boots and came back out to the car and went to start her and cranked a bit then stopped. Tried again nothing dang battery died. Well unfortunately I hadn't brought jumper cables so I had to look around for somebody with cables. We found somebody and got the explorer running then went in to big lots really quick and picked up a decent set of jumper cables for $9 that I am going to keep in the car.
Got her home and looked at her to see why the battery died and figured out that it was the battery cable that I have been to lazy to replace.
Before I drive her again I should have a new battery cable on her.

Also thinking the thermostat went bad already because as you are driving she slowly goes up to the L then goes right back down to between the N and O.

Trying to decide weather to get a 195 or a 180 this time.
Did find out the heater in this car works like a charm (I did turn the heater off to rule out the problem above) so I am glad this one is going to be a good winter runner.

Hopefully I can get the new plugs in mama's car and start enjoying those heated seats. LOL
Trav

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to decide weather to get a 195 or a 180 this time.
Did find out the heater in this car works like a charm (I did turn the heater off to rule out the problem above) so I am glad this one is going to be a good winter runner.

Trav

My experience with the thermostat for the exploders is 180 isn't all that great once the temp drops into the 20s.

195 seems really hot.

The O.E. temp thermostat is actually a 190. I bought one at O'Reilly last year, is cost me 25 dollars, but the heat was absolutely perfect temperature.

That's the only downside is the cost of the 190 stat.

Well 195 is what napa told me was stock so I got it.

Orielly's sells a 192* thermostat for $6 with the gasket and is made my murray which I have had tons of luck with.

You think a 192* would be better?
Also I noticed I can't even get a 180* thermostat for the explorers so I probably will have to go with a 195 or 192.
Trav

Well 195 is what napa told me was stock so I got it.

Orielly's sells a 192* thermostat for $6 with the gasket and is made my murray which I have had tons of luck with.

You think a 192* would be better?
Also I noticed I can't even get a 180* thermostat for the explorers so I probably will have to go with a 195 or 192.
Trav

My 190 was a special order. It is a legit motorcraft part. I would go with the closer to 180 you can get without going 180.

195 is the listing for the original temp for a lot of the parts stores, but you have to keep in mind the counter guy or gal is only as smart as what the computer tells them.

There are many parts people with an IQ higher than potato, those are either well experienced or management people. Although, I have seen some potato management people.

Ya ain't that the truth. I think I am going to go 192 on the thermostat.
Trav

Picked up a new thermostat 192* this time hopefully will get it in soon.

Blizzard gained another driver. Before it was only me and my dad whom would drive it (mom hates my explorer) but yesterday my younger brother got his permit so he will start driving the explorer now also.
Trav

Sorry I didn't update this been a bit busy.

I did get the battery cable and thermostat replaced but the battery is done for. I haven't had the time yet to go put the other battery I have in it.
Trav

Hey I'm going to be scrapping my parts explorer. It is green with a tan interior. No motor or trans. Do you need anything?

No not that I know of at this time. I think I have quite a bit left over from the ranger and our parts explorer so I am pretty good.
Trav

Hey I'm going to be scrapping my parts explorer. It is green with a tan interior. No motor or trans. Do you need anything?

What was it 2 or 4wd? I can't think of anything that I am really looking for other than a manual transfer case.

What was it 2 or 4wd? I can't think of anything that I am really looking for other than a manual transfer case.

It is 4wd and yes I have the manual transfer case. I was going to put it in my DD but I am hurting for cash right now if you have the right offer.

I do have the shifter linkage and all accessories.

It is 4wd and yes I have the manual transfer case. I was going to put it in my DD but I am hurting for cash right now if you have the right offer.

I do have the shifter linkage and all accessories.

PM me and let me know what you are looking for in price.

Finally got time to put in the new battery.
Trav

Well other day I finally got to drive her again and since it was muddy I had a little bit of fun. Was very surprised how well the skinny, slick, car tires did in the mud. The same spot my dad went through in his 90 F150 with car tires had to put in 4x4 I was able to scoot right through with my explorer in 2wd no problems. I am not sure if this was because I have done a bit more mudding then my dad (dad is more of a rock climber/trailer where I am more of a mudder).

Good news is it rained real good after that to clean her up a bit. That was the only reason right now I hadn't been driving her in the mud was I can't clean her up with my pressure washer down.
Trav

Took her on a lite trail for fun and unfortunetly suffered some Arizona pinstripping.

Both my brothers and me are now driving it since I have a license and they have permits.
Trav

Well been a while since I have been on been extremely busy between school and working on my 88 but only update I have so far is that brother broke the inside handle in the rear. Now only the front doors open.

I have been driving her a lot lately hopefully I will be able to park her for a bit soon so I can fix some of the things that needs fixed like the doors, clean the maf, power steering leak, tires and such but I can't till my 88 is going again.

I am about 200 miles as of today from hitting 245K.

EDIT: forgot to mention that one time while driving her 4x4 quit but came right back. Haven't had it happen again yet but otherwise been doing great especially with the beating me and my brothers are giving her.
Trav

Check the clip that holds the door rod for the rear handles.

It's a 5 dollar or so cost from OReilly. It's a universal ford door rod clip package in the help section. There's only one in the entire package that works an it has a yellow end on it. 10 bucks or so to fix both rear doors.

The downside is you need small hands to get the plastic clip in place.

Got the pieces just I personally haven't kicked my brother enough in the rear end to get out their and fix it since he has small hands.

Plus the handle itself in the rear I need.
Forgot to mention also that the passenger front needs that clip as it doesn't open from outside.

I am getting to it I just have been spending a lot of attention to dad's DD (90 F150) my 88 F150, and our generator.

I have to get it fixed though before brothers go for their license itself. Rather have them driving this (and so would dad and them) for their test then their trucks (91 F250 extended cab long bed 460 and my other brother is trying to decide between the ranger and a 91 F150 extended cab short bed 300 I6 he is leaning towards the F150 but I think he is trying to be like me (88 F150 302 reg cab long bed) and dad (90 F150 302 reg cab long bed).
Trav

Back