• Register Today It's free!

replacing armrest pad

littlebro294

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I have a 1994 ford explorer sport and ive been thinking about trying to replace the padding since mine, some how, has seemed to have absolutely no padding in the only area i place my arm, but when i went to go look at it i cant seem to find out exactly how to get this part off and get the fabric off, i have looked all over youtube and google and havent been able to find any how to's, is it possible to replace it or do i have to just go buy a new armrest? this is my daily driver and im in it quite often so it gets annoying having just hard plastic there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you take a picture and show us what it looks like?

-ft-1994-ford-explorer-sport-4-0-v6-5-spd-mvc-025f.jpg

this isnt the inside of mine but this is pretty much exactly what the inside of it looks like, the top of the armrest where its towards the driver side top is where its all messed up i just need to know if it is possible to get the top fabric off to get to the foam inside to replace it. ill try to get a pic of mine in the morning if needed.

2014-04-17+11.04.29.jpg

so i need help, i figured out how to get it off of the center console, i just need to know how to take off the hinge part off, so i can get the plastic off, so i can get the fabric off.

Sorry, seems like my second gen is a whole lot easier. It's just three screws to take it off. Did you try posting in the first gen forum?

I was going to but this is an interior project so i figured it would end up getting moved here anyways, i just need to know how to get it the rest of the way apart so i can redo this, and yes second gens are so much easier to do, but all the youtube videos are 2nd gen and up

am i able to re upholster it to match my stock interior? i want it to look stock but if i was to switch it i would like to not have it a different fabric

Yes, That's the point.

The one's in the sports are rubber, but they are easy to disassemble to re-upholster.

My Ex is a Limited, so I wanted to do it in leather like the original.

But there was no way to do it with the original arm rest. The original is machine pressed together and cannot be redone. At least not without some serious modification.

You can find an exact match for the fabric at an upholstery fabric store.

ok, thats what i figured, and one more question, i was looking at the interior on the 01 tracs and how exactly was yours re done to switch from one to the other, i havent been able to look inside an actual sport trac lately so the photos were on google.

Not Sport Trac/ Explorer Sport, ya know the two door Ex.

Actually the second gen four doors may have the same set up, I just happened to get mine out of a 2001 Explorer Sport.

Sorry for the confusion.. . ...:confused:

ahh ok, sorry i must have gotten the wording wrong haha, ok i will look into it, lucky the only pull yard we have around here a quite a bit of 2nd gens so i might be able to get something to work. Thanks

did you re do the entire center console? hit 2 junkyards today only saw 1 2nd gen with a decent looking one the rest either had it all ripped out or looked like crap.

Nope, just the arm rest.

I like the first gen console better.

But it is a direct fit if you want to do the whole thing.

Any interior stuff from a second gen will fit the first gen.

I like the first gen console better too but I looked at about 15 2nd gens today in the junkyards and couldnt find a single one that matched up with mine, they were all the lift consoles. I have a 3rd junkyard around me that i might go look at next week when I get my paycheck. Its a bigger yard than the ones I was in today so hopefully they might have one.

I believe they used the same upper arm rest in the bigger trucks, expedition, excursion, F series, E series. Oh and Rangers too.

Take your time and look at everything you may find something even better.

ok cool, this is a lot more work than i figure it would be to just get new padding on my arm rest but it would help so much more to get something i can re upholster. im figuring they arm rest dont look the same as mine does though. not even the one in the picture you posted.

would anyone happen to have a picture of the 01 explorer sport with a 5 speed? ive got it down to that if they are going to match up at all that it has to be the manual transmission not the automatic. unless there has to be some modification to make the one that FR-425 is talking about.

I think you missed the point.

The second gen center console arm rest uses the same mounting bracket and hinge as the first gen.

It is not necessary to replace the whole console.

It is a direct replacement.

If you figured out how to remove yours, then you should have no trouble getting a second gen from a donor at the junk yard, and just bolt it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No i got that, its just the only actual arm rest part ive seen has been from the automatics and they all have a different set up, i haven't been able to find one to match up i figured it was an manual only part, unless im looking at it wrong but they dont look the same as mine.

Back