• Register Today It's free!

fuel pump shut off switch

riverbum

Reaction score
City, State
L.A. aka lower alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 FX4
i looked around the forums but i didn't see anything about friends with big feet lol

i was driving to pigeon forge saturday and stopped to get gas. my friend, 6'3" size 14 shoe, was riding with me. plenty of room in my '05 fx4 as i am about the same size. stopped for gas and got back in the truck to leave and wouldn't run.

i haven't been under the hood of a vehicle in about 10 yrs because of mechanic's burn-out. can't stand the sight of an engine compartment any more.

truck has 83k and has been solid as a rock. i almost got sick thinking of the possibilities. raised the hood and almost cried when i saw all the sensors and fuel injection from Mars. i said a prayer. trying to reprogram my mind to the days of holley carbs, msd ignitions and 9" rears, i climbed underneath to get a look at the fuel filter and have a look around. my friend happened to look on the core support and read the little note about the "switch". got the manual out and followed the instructions. cranked right up. almost cried again. gave thanks and started out of the parking lot. truck cut off again. almost cried again. prayed once more. reset the switch again and we were off.

happened one more time and i had to guess it was tony's size 14 bumping the switch. he kept his foot away and didn't have any more problems. drove back to al this morning and everything was fine. i was alone but was worried that i might hit a bump and lose power again.

is it common for this swith to go bad? i know it is inertia activated and never had trouble with it before. i'm guessing the switch is loosing it's tension and needs to be replaced.

any thoughts? easy part to find? common problem? hang out with shorter people?

thanks, rhett

www.bluegrassinalabama.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the inertia switch sometimes goes bad and, yes, sometimes it can be triggered by the passenger's feet or something being carried in the footwell. If it were mine, I'd replace it.

didn't see the part listed on the ford/motorcraft website or the parts stores websites. any ideas where to look?

just checked on the part and the new switch comes with a kick guard. hmmm. looks like we have learned something in detroit. i wonder if the engineers who found it necessary to put the switch in the floor ever looked at the final product and said "hmmm, that might get kicked and cause the engine to stall."

Speaking as a Detroit engineer, I'd lay money that it occurred to the engineers but was "thrifted" by bean counters or management. The liability lawyers must have overruled them and had it added.

It does take quite a hit to trip it. At least it did on Dannyboys X (1991). . I tried hitting it with my hand and I couldn't trip it. I had to hit it with a rubber mallet.. When it trips you hear a spring noise.

~Mark

94 Explorer Sport problem with fuel pump shutting off and engine light not coming on.

I checked the spark and it was fine. The inertia switch seems to work fine. When it died the engine light didnt come back on. I replaced the fuel pump but still the same problem. I tried to have it scanned but no codes have been stored in the computer. When it gets ready to die the fuel just goes crazy and jerks to truck real hard, RPM go high as well then it dies. The engine light flutteres then tries to die now, but before I could not hear the fuel pump it was like it was out.

Also checked the Iginition Control module it is fine.

HELP? I tapped the inertia switch and it went off and acted just like it does when it dies except the fact the engine light never came on when it first started happening.

It is more likely the connector to the switch is not plugged all the way in .They were bad for that . I was a Ford tech for 42 years ,I was there when they were new .

Inertia Switch/plug

I checked the plug and made sure it was tight and even jiggled it around while it was on to see if it would die and it didn't until the plug actually came off.

Now I will be driving and all of a sudden the engine light flutters and it dies, with all the light on and such. It is like I just run out of gas.

It started right back up though. Could this be a sensor? I changed the ignition switch to see if it would help thinking it was shutting off the relay to the pump. No good still same problem.

If I change the inertia would that help? Ford still cannot scan it because engine light won't stay on and hold a code.

I also had the ignition module checked and they said it was good.

Nick:exp:

I checked the plug and made sure it was tight and even jiggled it around while it was on to see if it would die and it didn't until the plug actually came off.

Now I will be driving and all of a sudden the engine light flutters and it dies, with all the light on and such. It is like I just run out of gas.

It started right back up though. Could this be a sensor? I changed the ignition switch to see if it would help thinking it was shutting off the relay to the pump. No good still same problem.

If I change the inertia would that help? Ford still cannot scan it because engine light won't stay on and hold a code.

Does the check engine light glow steady when the engine dies?

This is important to note, as if the engine light is glowing the ecm has power.

If it is not glowing when the engine dies-then it is not getting power, which will also shut off the fuel pump.

If the light does glow--look for a bad connection in the fuel pump circuit, possibly a bad relay or relay socket. ( possible intermittent pump also)

If the CEL does not light with dead engine, look for a bad connection in the Ecm power circuit.

No power fuel pump 94 Explorer 4.0 4x4

OK, I when it died today there was no engine light coming on, then I went to try an restart (in neutral)and then engine light would not come back on and the pump would not prime ( couldn't hear anything.)

As soon as I put it into neutral then engine light cam back on and started right up.

I am trying to find any lose connections and none so far checked fuses,relays, and fusible links.

Had new pump put in last month, and wanting to know if I should change the inertia next??

Could this just be the PCM failing in that department?

I'm leaning towards the ignition switch. Not the thing you put the key into, but the thing the rod from the key cylinder goes to that is on top of the steering column.

~Mark

I changed the ignition switch already and still same problem. Any other ideas?

Where is the PCM/ECM power circut located? Is it in the box under hood or at the actual ECM plug inside the truck?

Im going to go with a bad connection somewhere.

When we did my motor swap we traced for 6-8 hrs on the same style issue.

Should I start at the power box out front and work my way back to the pump?

If you not getting power to the fuel pump start looking at the fuese and relays.

Then move through all the connections

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't waste money on inertia switch ,that would not affect the check engine light . PCM power relay more likely ,but I don't see the relation to resetting the inertia switch .Did you feel a click when you reset that switch ?
Check you ground cable at frame,and engine ,had trouble at both of those spots . lots of PCM relay problems and the connectors to them . hope this helps . I just had surgery this morning so my head isn't working to good .If I think of any thing else I will post again later .

Back