Will i have problems....285 tires...V6? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will i have problems....285 tires...V6?

hey guys my friends got a set of terra grapplers 285's about 50% tread, 125$ for all 4, will they fit with no lift on stock tires?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they might fit with some trimming dont listen to some of the people saying you cant run 33's when they havent tried it themselves.

Old topic, but I'm going to go ahead and buy my 285 75 16 BFGs and put them on my stock explorer. I will buy a 1.25" Wheel Spacer though.

The general consensus is that 265s are the biggest you can fit at stock height. With a 3" body lift you can run 285s with a little trimming. The 3" body lift and coil spacers require no trimming.

What size coil spacers will I need to put on with the 3 inch body lift???

I believe the smallest spacers that BTF offers (double check the size) would be enough, since the 3" body lift alone requires trimming (meaning, it's reasonable to conclude that a small spacer lift would compensate for the trimming easily).

Of course, it costs no more to get a larger spacer lift.

There are some threads talking about this up top.

Why would gas miledge go down from running bigger tires? Larger tire lowers cruising rpm. And to everyone saying run a wheel spacer they are very stupid of nieve. do not run spacers. you are asking for problems. Good friend of mine is dead due to spacers putting stress on ball joints. you have been warned.

Why would gas miledge go down from running bigger tires? Larger tire lowers cruising rpm. And to everyone saying run a wheel spacer they are very stupid of nieve. do not run spacers. you are asking for problems. Good friend of mine is dead due to spacers putting stress on ball joints. you have been warned.

It's rather simple as to why you'll see a decrease in gas mileage. Underpowered engine trying to push heavier tires has to work harder, therefore using more gas because your foot will be in it more and whatnot.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

under normal cruising speeds i went from 19 to 22 mph. thats at 74 on interstate. if i run at 80 it drips to 17.5

under normal cruising speeds i went from 19 to 22 mph. thats at 74 on interstate. if i run at 80 it drips to 17.5

You gained 3mpg by going to larger tires? Are you using the onboard avg mpg or manually calculating your mpg? Have you adjusted your speedometer to reflect the larger tires so you are getting an accurate result?

If I could gain 3 mpg by going to larger tires, then that's exactly what I need to do because I drive 70 miles a day and avg 16.5 mpg.

You gained 3mpg by going to larger tires? Are you using the onboard avg mpg or manually calculating your mpg? Have you adjusted your speedometer to reflect the larger tires so you are getting an accurate result?

If I could gain 3 mpg by going to larger tires, then that's exactly what I need to do because I drive 70 miles a day and avg 16.5 mpg.

I lost MPG with my bigger tires, I have the superchips flashpaq and adjusted my tire size. I only get about 18mpg highway and 14mpg city with my 285's.

Oh jeeze. Its simple really. Cruising hwy speeds larger tires will lower your RPM and increase your MPG. Its getting rolling up to those speeds that kills your MPG. Lots of city driving with big tires will kill MPG, lots of hwy miles will increase MPG.

Wheel spacers are a horrible idea and a major safety risk. Good luck with those.

I'm running 285s with a v6... 2 inch front spacer and 1.5 back.. 3 inch body lift... My rims have a -12 offset.. Which compared to stock is like having a 2 inch spacer... I have the same running boards an I rub on one side at full lock because I can't get that board to pull back..

If you have the 3.73 diffs it's not as much pain on the tranny.. I think the bigger tires make the ratio to about 3.49... If you have the 3.55 rear end you push that ratio way lower and you are closer to tranny damage.. Keep the lube changed in your transfer case too... I just tore mine open .... Up loading the results... Soon

Anyone ever tried 35s?

Back