02 Mounty loud snap sound in front end when turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Mounty loud snap sound in front end when turning

LukeOmalley

Reaction score
City, State
connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer V8
:usa:
Team, I'm in a jam! I've had somewhat of a rubbing sound (rear I think) when pulling in & out of parking spaces or during K turns... Just recently i was pulling into a parking space turning left and a LOUD snap sound appeared to have come from the left front. the sound has now duplicated itself now when turning left & right... typically at slow speeds during hard not gradual turns...

Whats up? please advise...

Many Thanks!
Luke:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, the snap sound isn't as pronounced during gradual turns at moderate speeds... Anything that could help would be genuinely appreciated

I have the same problem with my explorer, when pulling slowly into a parking space or whatever. Seems that if i do it faster it doesnt make the clunking sound. WTF could this be?

First thing is to check to see if you are stuck in 4 WD.

thanks for the response.... My 02' Mounty isan AWD, 4.6L...

Yep, simply meant the center differential may not be allowing enough slip and sending near equal power to the front and rear. Binding is a common problem that causes the front end to pop while turning.

Sound appears to be Mechanical in that the noise is that of snapping metal

how do i check if im stuck in 4wd? I have the selector switch on my dash, and that is in auto.

:exp:joecrna, im going to find out tomorrow if the snap/pop sound goes away after i change my differential fluid. its probably a long shot, but if its the differential, what's the solution?

thanks!!!!!:usa:

If you rule the 4wd out, then the pop/snap is from a ball joint. Check the upper/lower balljoints and the inner/outer tie rods.

911 02 Mounty 4.6L AWD

:usa::salute:The crack/snap/clunk/pop sound is even worse after changing the diff fluids... How do I know if my AWD is screwed up and is destroying something and if it is, what am I looking at? This guys at a shop said its probably my transfer case. What the heck is it? and how do i get the car to quiet down???

My left front bearing is roaring, I hear a loud crack/snap/clunk/pop sound from the Left Front when turning, and now when pulling forward from a dead stop. My car binds up at slow speeds when cold, and its worse after the car has bee driven on a highway at high sppeds and then i try to negotiate parking lots at slow speeds. Hey when pulling into a parking spot the rubbing/binding is extreme.... So what do I need to do? Please help:salute::usa:

Apparently & according to a shop I dropped my 02 AWD 4.6 mounty off to I had a bunch of subframe bolts loose causing my differential to shift. I'm out of town so I haven't picked up my ride yet but they torqued them to spec and test drove my Mounty and the noise is supposedly gone... I'll find out tomorrow, but is this possible? They apparently located the source by placing electronic chasis ears on the frame and test drove the Mounty duplicating the problem. They were then able to pinpoint and isolate the source. The first thing they did was install an upper control arm. The sounds remained then they noticed the loose bolts... Thoughts?

:usa::exp:Ronin8002, I've been waiting for you BigRondo & BrooklynBay to chime in. You guys have genuinely helped me in the past and I do appreciate it! I'll keep you and the rest posted. Could I have screwed anything up by having the bolts loose and driving a few hundred miles? I do have a roaring FL wheel bearing so I'm going to order a replacement and jump on that soon. Do I get one from PC or do you recommend another & should I do both front hub assemblies? Thanks!

Check out autoparts123.com for the bearing. I saved a bunch on my rear bearings there.

STU

:usa::exp:Ronin8002, I've been waiting for you BigRondo & BrooklynBay to chime in. You guys have genuinely helped me in the past and I do appreciate it! I'll keep you and the rest posted. Could I have screwed anything up by having the bolts loose and driving a few hundred miles? I do have a roaring FL wheel bearing so I'm going to order a replacement and jump on that soon. Do I get one from PC or do you recommend another & should I do both front hub assemblies? Thanks!

Up to you on replacing one or both hubs. If it were my I'd just replace both for peace of mind, but if money is an issue, then just replace the bad one.

As far as the front diff hard to say if it damaged anything. Guess I'd just have the mounting points tightened up and see how it goes after that...."cross that bridge if/when you get there" and all that.

keep you all posted. Got my Mounty this morning and all is quiet except for my LF wheelbearing. I fix that in a few...

i have a similar problem with my 03 awd 4.6 mounty. the difference is that mine popped while in forward motion on the highway. the faster i went the louder it got. i changed my cv axles in the front but the problem was still there. the only way i could get it to stop was to remove my front driveshaft. the noise stopped. makes me think that i have something binding in the front diff or transfer case. no one has been able to give any advise so i will welcome all suggestions

popping noise

I have the same issue too with a clanking/ popping sound when I turn out from a parking spot, make a u-turn, and backing up into/out of a parking spot while turning. Sounds and feels like its coming from the left side under my foot.
Truck feels like its binding on something and I have to get on the gas to keep it moving backwards. Its been like this for about a year now......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back