• Register Today It's free!

Valve Body Issue

Matt Foley

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Stock 2001 Explorer Sport RWD 4.0. Was flaring when shifting....replaced valve body with complete reman. valve body. Tested while still on jack stands. My new problem is that now I only have 1st and 2nd gear. No reverse or drive. Member 1992 Fordgreen mentioned that it could be broken O/D and or intermediate bands???? But I don't know how to diagnose that problem. Any thoughts or experience on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might of missed the manual valve on the valve body when you installed the new valve body. Te valve has to be indexed into the manual linkage pin.

spool.jpg

Hey JK080....thanks for the input. Yes I did remember to align the piston valve with the spur on the sawtooth linkage gear. I checked and rechecked my steps before putting the pan back on and adding fluid. LOL....I would have been kicking myself if I had messed up on that step.

Check the alignment of the shift cable. Do you see your reverse lights turn on when you shift into reverse? Are you able to crank the starter in park & neutral? Did you move or unplug the range sensor? Was a 1/4" drive In/Lb torque wrench used on the valve body bolts along with new gaskets?

If it didn't do this before the valve body replacement then I would believe something in the valve body might not be right. If you have the old one it might be worth it to reinstall it to see what happens. I know its a lot of work but if its not the valve body, then I would suspect the input sprag, it will cause no forward or reverse but will have manual low and second but this means removing the tranny and basically rebuilding it. It would be a unusual coincidence but anything can happen.

The EPC solenoid if not properly seated into valve body and its bracket can cause engagement issues, missing retainers in the valve body can cause things like this as well.

Hey There Brooklyn Bay and JK080- it's great that I'm getting all this good advice coming back at me so quickly...and it's Easter Sunday. I did get confirmation by seeing the backup lights in reverse and it does start up in both park and neutral. Yes...torqued bolts correctly. I called the vendor and he is sending another valve body out to me (at no cost). He stated that they ship 1000's of these and only experience a 3% failure rate. So, I will wait and install the one he sends and I will keep everyone in the loop. Thanks.

Just took the reman valve body out (waiting for another) to replace it. As I took the servo cover off...the servo dropped out and fell into the bucket of tranny fluid. Is there any spring or anything that might have been on there? I did not see anything. It's a 5R55E tranny. DO I just place the servo back in there? Easy Peezy? Thanks.

Yes its thats easy and there is no spring, you can check the band with a thin pick or screwdriver up through the hole where the pin on the servo goes. You should be able to see the band move through the holes in the case.

Back