not sure where this goes but need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

not sure where this goes but need help

okwriting

Reaction score
City, State
Benton, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Purchased new rotors, brake pads and bearings for my rear wheel drive 97 mountie. But when I took the old rotor off, the old inner bearing fell apart and apparently, part of the old inner bearings fused to the spindle and I can't get it off, so I can't put the new rotor on. Is there any way to get it off, or will I have to figure out how to replace the spindle? PLEASE help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I get a little grinder and carefully grind that little lip off so my rotor will slide on?

Grind a slot in it then give it hell with a cold chisel.

What a shop would do is touch the race with a welder to get it good and hot then smack it off.

So, the chisel didn't work by itself, even after cutting it partway thru with a dremel cutter, and I don't dare cut any deeper or further over. So, Just get a propane torch and heat it red hot and try to knock it loose like that? I don't have a big torch, so would a small propane torch work ok?

The idea is to heat up the race so it expands and breaks the seal.

Back