• Register Today It's free!

Rearview Camera Active Guidelines

Falcor00

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
When I put the vehicle in reverse the backup camera comes on with the guidelines. I could have sworn that the guidelines moved when I turned the steering wheel on the test drive... mine doesn't since I bought it and don't know if it's a setting that I am missing. Can someone confirm?

Full disclaimer: Could have been one of those lesser comparables I drove and I'm confusing the two. =)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I put the vehicle in reverse the backup camera comes on with the guidelines. I could have sworn that the guidelines moved when I turned the steering wheel on the test drive... mine doesn't since I bought it and don't know if it's a setting that I am missing. Can someone confirm?

Full disclaimer: Could have been one of those lesser comparables I drove and I'm confusing the two. =)

You are missing a setting:

From the owners manual:

Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidelines
The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle while reversing. The fixed guidelines assist a driver with backing into a parking space or aligning with an object behind the vehicle.
To turn this feature on or off when the vehicle is not in R (Reverse), do the following on the touchscreen:
1. Select Menu
2. Select Vehicle
3. Select Rear View Camera
The fixed guideline options are ON and OFF. The active guideline options are ACTIVE + FIXED, FIXED and OFF.

Right next to that setting you can also have it "shade in" or fill in the guidlines with blocks of color when your backing up and it senses something.

When I put the vehicle in reverse the backup camera comes on with the guidelines. I could have sworn that the guidelines moved when I turned the steering wheel on the test drive...
Falcor00,

I see that this was already covered by Flying68 & jeeden. :D Keep in mind, you can download a free digital copy of the Owner Guide by going to the URL http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage and choosing 2012 Explorer from the drop down menus.

You are missing a setting:

From the owners manual:

The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle while reversing...
Right next to that setting you can also have it "shade in" or fill in the guidlines with blocks of color when your backing up and it senses something.
Thanks for helping out guys. :thumbsup:

Cory

Appreciate the help! I own the manual and have read through it once... time to read through it again (or use the index!) Thanks again

I have a ltd awd and mine dosn't have this in the setting. Is it part of a certain package?

I have a ltd awd and mine dosn't have this in the setting. Is it part of a certain package?

I think you only get the active guidelines if you have the active park assist feature. I don't understand why the active guidelines wouldn't be standard on all reverse camera equipped vehicles though. I don't have them either. (I have XLT)

I guess w1kedz is correct? I checked this morning on my way to work and I don't have any option for active park assist. 1) it's not standard? and 2) how is the active park assist included, what package?

Cory, can you help?

I think you only get the active guidelines if you have the active park assist feature...
I guess w1kedz is correct? I checked this morning on my way to work and I don't have any option for active park assist. 1) it's not standard? and 2) how is the active park assist included, what package?

Cory, can you help?
CDNexp, w1kedz, & Falcor00,

No, the Active Park Assist isn’t standard; it’s included with the Limited 302A package on the 2011MY and the Limited 302A & 303A package with the 2012MY.

Cory

No, the Active Park Assist isn’t standard; it’s included with the Limited 302A package on the 2011MY and the Limited 302A & 303A package with the 2012MY.

The question is, why aren't the active guides standard with any model that has a backup camera? Is this is a software restriction or is there some something missing hardware-wise? I can't see a reason why the active guides would only be available to people who pay for automatic parking feature, when the guides are more useful to someone manually parking =P

The question is, why aren't the active guides standard with any model that has a backup camera? Is this is a software restriction or is there some something missing hardware-wise? I can't see a reason why the active guides would only be available to people who pay for automatic parking feature, when the guides are more useful to someone manually parking =P
w1kedz,

The active guide lines are only available with the active park assist. This is partly because with the extra sensors installed (needed for park assist) it also detects to the side and can verify the area is clear of obstructions in the intended path of travel.

Cory

w1kedz,

The active guide lines are only available with the active park assist. This is partly because with the extra sensors installed (needed for park assist) it also detects to the side and can verify the area is clear of obstructions in the intended path of travel.

Cory

I'm guessing what Cory is referring to here is probably something to do with sensors in the steering wheel that detect its position which are used in the active park assist which can be used to tell MFT which direction you are turning the wheel.

I'm guessing what Cory is referring to here is probably something to do with sensors in the steering wheel that detect its position which are used in the active park assist which can be used to tell MFT which direction you are turning the wheel.

Was thinking the same thing! .. the outside sensors should have no affect on curving lines on a screen, but you would need steering wheel position.

Was thinking the same thing! .. the outside sensors should have no affect on curving lines on a screen, but you would need steering wheel position.
jrmexplorer & w1kedz,

The steering angle sensor is used with the stability control also, which means it’s in every one we make. So it’s not the restriction. It’s the sensors that detect objects to the side of the vehicle that are missing.

Cory

Alright i have had my 2013 explorer for a month now and I am still trying to figure out all the do hikies on the car.

The question is about the backup camera.

My camera is working fine and I find I like it but the day I was shopping for my explorer, the salesman took me around to their differrent sales a lots around austin(they have five btw).

We traveled around ina limited and the salesman had me drive to test the suv. When we backed up, I noticed two lines would turn in the dirrection of travel when I turned the wheel. With my Xlt, the two lines are not their but the red to green alinement lines are.

Is the dirrectional lines only available on the limited or is my system not set right? Just curious.

Oh, my american flag bug deflector is suppose to be delivered saturday and it should go perfectly with the deep impact blue of my xlt. I will try to post pics after mounting it.

Perhaps its included in My Ford Touch, and not the downgraded system. If you have the features, the back up camera settings are in vehicle settings in MFT, select active and fixed.

I wasn't aware that the model would dictate the rearview camera settings.

From the manual:

The rear video camera includes the following features that will assist the driver in reverse driving.
The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle while reversing. The fixed guidelines assist a driver with backing into a parking space or aligning with an object behind the vehicle.
To turn this feature on or off when the vehicle is not in R (Reverse), do the following on the touchscreen:
1. Select Menu
2. Select Vehicle
3. Select Rear View Camera
The fixed guideline options are ON and OFF. The active guideline options are ACTIVE + FIXED, FIXED and OFF.

I'm not positive, but I think the moving lines are only on Limiteds.

I believe the active guidelines are a limited only feature

My understanding is that the active guidelines are only on the Limiteds with the Active Park Assist feature. The explanation I heard was that the active park assist includes a steering sensor that is used by the backup camera so it knows your steering angle to create the curved lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There seems to be a lot of, I believe, I'm not positive and my understanding, phrases on this subject so let me throw in my perspective. The manual under REAR VIEW CAMERA (IF EQUIPPED) has a section entitled; Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidlines.
I believe, although I'm not positive that this indicates that while fixed guidelines are included with all cameras, the active guidelines are not. At least that is my understanding.;)

I wish Ford would stop using "If equipped" and be more specific as to what they mean (model, options etc).

Peter

Back