Ghost towns of the eastern Sierra's Sept. 2014 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ghost towns of the eastern Sierra's Sept. 2014

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Do you have a date you would like to receive visitors?..:D

..Another member from the southern states would like to try and meet up with those planning to be in the Bodie area..

..Do you have a date you would like to receive visitors?..:D

..Another member from the southern states would like to try and meet up with those planning to be in the Bodie area..

Anytime; right now, it appears we will head over the hills on a sunday, stay at least for a week to 10 days, and then come back home on a tuesday/wednesday.

I am thinking highway 88 over, and highway 4 back (for the sierra portion).

With just over 2 months brfore this trip, who all is interested in going?

Lets start a list so we know what we need and for how many..

..I drove by there yesterday..:burnout:

DSC0176b.jpg

..Here is what the cheap gas prices were just for reference..

Reno = $3.85
Carson City = $3.74
Bridgeport = $4.84 (nearest town to Bodie)
All other towns south on 395 was = $4.29

While at home it is $3.93

..I just came back from there and the prices were exactly the same which is odd these days..:dunno:

..There have been numerous fires in the general area due to recent lightening strikes but the closest was 10 miles north and I couldn't even see it when I drove by.

Boomer...Are you up there now as I saw a lot of big Green trucks heading up?

..Since there hasn't been any interest in this trip, I might start planning for a trip to the southern States in September for myself..

I'm interested. :thumbsup:

..I just came back from there and the prices were exactly the same which is odd these days..:dunno:

..There have been numerous fires in the general area due to recent lightening strikes but the closest was 10 miles north and I couldn't even see it when I drove by.

Boomer...Are you up there now as I saw a lot of big Green trucks heading up?

..Since there hasn't been any interest in this trip, I might start planning for a trip to the southern States in September for myself..

Why don't you run DE-IV, Part 2?

We could modify DE IV to tour some ghost towns in the Mojave...

..I haven't seen anything posted on EF about it and since Tom is on vaction with family and the only one who is going I feel kinda weird going up there alone...:dunno:

..I also since have been invited to an event in Kentucky and should know in a week or so...

I haven't posted on EF yet - I was in Kansas City last week.

So you know, the dates are Sept 21 - October 3.

What's going on in Kentucky?

...Another week long offroad event with offroad expo, wheeling, and races..:D

Any recommendations on what to go see besides Bodie? We will be in Tracy's jeep and her dad will be in a lifted Blazer.

...Drive from Bodie to Smith Valley Nevada..:)

What would be a good Atlas to pick up for this area. Don't think google maps on my phone is going to work well out there. Especially with no car charger.

..You could print google maps and hilite your trails for most up to date info and cheap..;)

I think Tom just bought some area maps and I think he's still going..

We just got back.

There is a 4x4 trail all the way around Mono lake; it's above the 1941 water line from what I could find.

Bodie, you can get to via Cottonwood Canyon, which is a washboard gravel road.

Head down to Big Pine, head up east to the Bristlecone forest, there's a excellent campground there (GrandView) and several different 4x4 trails there also.

There is not much to the west of 395, it's just vertical mountain slope.

Go up hwy 120 to Tioga pass, there is some crazy nice forest service camp grounds before Yosemite.

Our route was san fran -> hwy 4/hermit valley/deer valley -> lundy lake campgound/Lee Vining -> Big Pine/Bristle Cone -> 120 back over and through yosemite.

There is free WiFi in the mono commitee store in Lee Vining. I just told google maps to download to the phone. I also use another android map package that can download maps also.

Started packing everything today. Trying to fit three people in a CJ7 plus gear doesn't work to well. I got a hold of my friend Fred at www.kodiakap.com and he is letting us use his Coyote Lake trailer. I didn't think I would fill a 4'x7' trailer but I did.

15303181626_e34118edd1_c.jpg
Kodiakap.com coyote trailer by dresselhausfc, on Flickr

My daughter Bailey gives two thumbs up to getting ready to go camping. I didn't get a picture of her helping me change the oil in the jeep. Made a bit more of a mess on both of us but we had fun together.

15139619418_bf735c0da2_c.jpg

Just need to fill the ice chest and add a few cloths bags and we are ready to leave in the morning. We made reservations at the Virgina Creek Settlement. They seem to have a lot of good reviews online about them. I will report back how we like it.

15303178126_76b647ecf4_c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Rigbt on...looking forward to an reports you could post.:biggthump.

..I'm wondering if the smoke from the big fire will be an issue?

Back