ABS light on after new FR wheel bearing replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS light on after new FR wheel bearing replacement

spicoli99

Reaction score
First of all great forum! I have searched and found many of the answers to my questions here! Subject 2002 2WD Explorer4.0L XLT AT 182k miles. Upon doing a brake job on the front which included new pads and rotors, I noticed that when you spun the hub it made a grinding sound so I ordered (2) new wheel bearing hubs with sensors PN(V515050). They arrived yesterday and I installed them last night in about 45min. During a 1 mile test drive the ABS light came on. I double checked the connections at the connectors and they were good. The new hubs were packaged good and had no physical damage. I guess that possibly the resistance value of the new sensors is different than the old ones. I may put the old sensors in the new hubs tonight and see if this makes a difference. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
Spic

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can find a shop they can tell you which one, i found that my local midas charges 45 to do it.

chances are the new ABS sensors are ok.
My guess is the Master Cylnder switch, mine went out after i did my brakes, its the cheapest sensor too, at $20. I'd be tempted to throw one of those in and see what happens. The next common one is the Rear but its $50, but with this one its cheaper to diagnose it.
Out side chance the connectors are lose in the ones you replaced? or you damaged a wire while installing (done that been there). Hopefully you save the old ones?

THX,Well all had been just fine until I replaced the front wheel bearing hubs. That is the strange part of it all. Possible a bad sensor in the new hub. I will isolate and report my findings.

SPIC

It seemed to me that it was to coincidental that the ABS light came on right after I changed the front wheel bearing hubs w/new sensors. (By the way it had never came on until after i changed the front wheel bearing hubs) . So last night i unpluged the new sensors and took the old hubs with old sensors and placed them under the hood and just simply plugged the old ones back in to see if the ABS light would turm off. Well the light stayed "ON" this tells me that the rear sensor must have crapped out after changing the front hubs with new sensors. This seems unlikely but I guess I will replace the rear sensor and see what happens. I wish I had a schematic to show how these particular Hall effect sensors work. All of my dealings with Hall effect sensor in the past have an "open collector" output. Basically it has a darlingtion pair BJT integrated in the sensor. this would mean that one leg of the transistor would need to be grounded. Typically this is the emitter and the signal, or the sensing element is applied to the base. The collector terminal is then pulled high (+12V or 5V) and it simply pulses a square wave back to an input of the ECU. Anyway, I will replace the rear sensor ans see what happens.

later,
Spic

UPDATE!!! I removed the RH side new senor that came with the new wheel hub. I installed the old sensor from the old wheel hub. Took it for a drive and the ABS light blinked once and then right back on. Then I proceeded to change the LH side. I noticed that the old sensor would not fit in the new wheel hub. The edge of the old sensor was hitting on the teeth inside the hub. I proceeded to check the new one for damage, NONE! I then held them beside each other to see any differences. The only difference was the length..about 1mm. (new one is longer) My only hope now is to try to shim the new by 1mm. I am begining to suspect that the CNC machine that drilled the hole in the hub for the sensor was off my some small amount. I will post the final solution in hopes it will help someone else in the future.

Spicoli

2002 explorer abs light

hello i c a few people had this problem . i change front wheel hubs of my 02 explorer xlt n after changing them the abs light .has any one found how to fix this problem i cant aford to take it a dealer if any one can help me out i will b greatful thanksrome

hello i c a few people had this problem . i change front wheel hubs of my 02 explorer xlt n after changing them the abs light .has any one found how to fix this problem i cant aford to take it a dealer if any one can help me out i will b greatful thanksrome

Unplug your negative battery cable for 15 minutes and then reconnect it. See if that turns off the light.

abs light on after replaceing front hubs

the light does shut off but comes on after driving 1 mile or 2 breakes also feal funny untill light comes on after lights on breaks or find

My problem was in the aftermarket wheel bearing hubs The spacing and depth on the teeth were not accurate.

SPIC

Right Hubs ?

My problem was in the aftermarket wheel bearing hubs The spacing and depth on the teeth were not accurate.

SPIC

Are you sure those are the right hubs for a 2wd ? those are the part number for the 4wd models.

ya interested in what happened.

I had a ABS light come on out of no where, and i took a shot in the dark and replaced the one on top of the rear diff ( 30-40$oem) and it worked.

I had the same problem with my wifes 2007 Explorer: noisy front wheel bearings at 80K. When I installed the new Moog bearings from RockAuto, the ABS and Traction control light came on. Driving the vehicle and/or disconnecting the battery did not turn the lights off. Upon reconnecting the plugs from the old bearings, the traction control light turned off, but the ABS light stayed on. This turns out to be normal since the vehicle needs to be driven a short distance to turn the light off. I later found major damage to the ABS cable right side bearing, but no visible damage to the left side bearing, so I took the cable off the old wheel bearing and swapped it with the damaged one (not exact match). Since the light stayed on, I had O'Riellys scan the car for me, and both sides were bad. Faulty signal on right, No signal (bad) on the left. I believe this was due to the parts being damaged during shipping. The lug bolts from one of the bearings was pushed through the cardboard shipping box indicative that it was dropped, possibly damaging both bearings. Rock Auto was good enough to refund these. I was going to buy locally for the next bearings, but the cost was too high ($640 O'Riellys verses $340 RockAuto for Timkens for the 2 fronts). When I installed the new Timken bearings and drove down the driveway, the light turned off - no more issues. I bought an Innova 3030 F OBD2/ABS scanner that I turned out not to need...for now.

I've received a lot of help by reading these forums and plan to contribute when I can to return the favors.
Hope it helps.

Back