NHSTA's latest attempt to save us all.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NHSTA's latest attempt to save us all..

All of this new technology is great until it fails. Just because it's computerized doesn't mean that it will always prevent accidents. Sensors age & fail or get out of spec. The sensor might be covered with road dirt or ice, and think that an object is very close when it's really far away. A failed sensor won't detect a vehicle in close proximity, so it won't react. I know what everybody is thinking. What are the chances of two vehicles having failed sensors, and getting into an accident? Once we allow technology to run our lives, we become dependent upon it, and need it. I'm not saying that these things are no good or don't have a place in our lives. We need these things to assist us, but not take total control.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Part of the problem is the bigger picture - some people think technology will solve all our problems.

People do not understand that technology is only a tool, not a solution. The solution to our problems comes from us - but most people cannot or will not think anymore. "It's someone else's problem, it can be someone else's solution." Unfortunately, most people are allowing the government to be that "someone else."

As Stic-O said, the frog is starting to boil...

Had the experience/ MIS-fortune to drive a 2012 International Prostar with alot of this crap. Stupid "avoidance" system sensor was slightly out of adjustment, and every time that someone would pass me, the F'ing computer would "apply" the brakes. The, the portside (driver for you "normal" types) yaw sensor went bad, and it thought that I was constantly turning. NO cruise control, engine brake, and THE F'ING STEERING WHEEL WAS always TRYING TO "return to center".

Oh I cant wait...hide my "danger car" in sealed vault. Then once all police cars are taken off the roads because there are no longer actual cars. Open the vault and take a cruise.

You know, I was going through my old posts today while "working" (lol) and came across some replies on here I hadn't seen... I just figured You all deserved some recognition: we have an excellent group of helpful, intelligent and down-to-earth people on this forum! I have to say I 100% agree with things that have been mentioned in replies. I personally am against all the "driver assist" crap. As I've said before, if you need that much "assistance" stay the heck out from behind a steering wheel!
That having been said, my seeming support of a self-driving car, is just my opinion that I believe if we're going to have cars with these "assist" technologies, we are going to have drivers who pay even LESS attention than they already do, which is just plain scary! I think even with their inherent problems, a complete self-driving car that has been thoroughly tested and developed, will stand a much better chance of not crashing into me, than most drivers that are currently relying on these "assist" technologies.
Maybe we should start a "Serious Explorations Government Advisory Board". We need people in office that look at the issues the realistic way we all see them. A guy can dream, can't he? Lol

Back