2nd Gen (2000) Front Bumper Bolt Removal - HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd Gen (2000) Front Bumper Bolt Removal - HELP

clevalley

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
In process of putting in 883 Body Lift -

Rear bumper removed - piece of cake.

Front bumper... the bolts are spinning (all four) when I am removing the nuts. Attempted to remove front plastic fascia and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it off, I am beginning to think the fascia is held on by the front bumper bolts...

I am stuck here and looking for some advice, not sure of what do to short of drilling a hole in the front plastic fascia to put a socket on the head of the bolt to keep them from spinning.

Any advice?

Well - wound up drilling 4 plug holes in the front fascia. The bolt heads are not even hex heads, but wound up jamming a screw driver between the head of the bolt and the plastic side to stop them from spinning.

Nothing like a 10 minute job turning into 3 hours...

Might just find a replacement bumper from a junk yard, or glue the plugs back in and seal with Marine-Tex - then spray bed liner on the bumper. Bed liner on the bumper was in the plans, but after getting the front bumper off I called it an evening. I just hope this is not a pre-cursor for the lift install.

Back