Any idea what gears I may have in my rear end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any idea what gears I may have in my rear end

Missourimuddin98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ranger xlt
I drive a 1999 ford ranger xlt 4x4 it's lifted 3 inches and has 33s on it, when I'm driving at 60mph my rpms run right at 2100, so I looked at the door tag and it said I have 3.73s but I looked at my rear end and my tag is gone, so I believe it has been regeared before I bought it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I played with the numbers at http://4lo.com/calc/gearratio.php and my best guess is you have 4.10 gears now...

This is assuming you really are 60mph...

4.10 gears @ 2100 rpms with .8:1(ish) transmission (OD) and in high range (1:1 transfer case) with a 32.5" tall tire ("most" 33's are 32.5" tall) comes out to about 62mph..

IIRC, your OD is really .78 so I fudged it to .8

You can tell easily though.. Put the rear end on jack stands, and rotate a tire and count how many times around the driveshaft rotates. If you have 4.10 gears it will rotate just over 4 times.. If you have 3.73 it will rotate 3 3/4 times...

~Mark

Yep, sounds like you have 4.10's, the only way to be sure is to remove the diff cover and check the numbers on the ring gear and or count the teeth on the ring and pinion. With the speeds, rpm's and tire size it matches mine when I ran 33's.

Thanks guys, I was starting to think also, I'm gonna jack it up and do the rotation thing to be sure,

That rotating the tire method is not quite that simple if you have an open differential. You can rotate a tire and the driveshaft may not move at all if the other tire rotates the other way. Both tires have to move the same direction and together to get a good reading on the differential ratio.

It works if you only lift 1 tire up. If you have LS or a locker then you must lift both sides so the tires can spin the same direction.

If you lift both tires and have an open diff, you're right, it doesn't work right.

~Mark

Back