• Register Today It's free!

Headlight relay location

po-po 5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 5.0 EB 2WD
Just got pulled over for no headlights. I can't imagine that BOTH lamps went out at the same time so where's the headlight relay? The stupid owners manaul lists it in slot 11 in the power distribution box..................except the part where there IS no slot 11.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IF you have autolamps, the relay is in the relay module (dash area).... BUT if you don't have autolamps, then there ain't no relay.

IF you have autolamps, the relay is in the relay module (dash area).... BUT if you don't have autolamps, then there ain't no relay.

It has autolamps, but there doesn't appear to be any relays in the fusebox on the side of the dash.

not the fuse box... center / under of the dash

On my 2000 XLS, when 1 bulb dies, the other one fails to turn on. I learned this the hard way in the middle of nowhere 30 miles from home and had to limp home on just the fogs. I just replaced the bad bulb and all was well, I did not have to replace both. Don't know if this is normal or just my X but it's an idea for you...

I had an issue with my headlights only the brights would work and eventually they went out as well. The issue was with the multi switch. When I asked my mechanic to change that (which I should have did myself) he said he didn't think that would fix the problem. It did fix the problem and both headlights and high beams worked. Im not sure if this is the issue but its worth a shot.

There is a headlamp relay in the Power Distribution Box under the Air Filter box, mounted to the Air Box Plate.

Ryan

Do you have the "message console" in the center of your floor console. If so the common problem is the circuit board on the "lights out module" (LOM). The circuit board goes bad and basically it leaves an open circuit causing head lights to go out. There are many "LOM" repair threads if you do a search here on Explorer Forum. Good luck.

I was slow... just answering the "where the headlamp relay"? instead of thinking about the actual problem (no lights).... but of course, you are right.... its a LOM issue (EB standard option).... BUT that's if the headlamp relay is OK.

Back