How does one remove the rear wiper arm? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How does one remove the rear wiper arm?

Brandon96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV
Thats probably the most stupid question you've read all year, but I've been repainting the wiper arms, wiper cowls and roof rack on my explorer tonight because they're severely faded and chipping...

I get around to the rear wiper arm, and I thoouught there would just be a little tab I press in and it would glide right off, I'm so wrong arn't I? I see a little tab at the base of the arm, and I stuck my key in there and pulled it back, then tried to slide the wiper off the mount, but it don't budge...

I looked through here, nothing helped me, any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a one bolt holding it to the motor. You need to flip up a plastic cover to get at it. The cover seems pretty tight, but it will flip off (hinged) with a bit of effort. Don't forgoet to unplug the hose.

Once you loosen and remove the retaining nut your almost done.
Grip around the arm in the area where the retainer nut was...the arm is engaged over a fine toothed splined end-shaft there.

Pull with a little presssure as straight as you can toward you ...you might also need to use a little rocking motion too while pulling. You just have to work the arm off the sline shaft and your done.
I hope this helps.
Rick

My 97 Wiper Arm removal didn't require undoing any retaining nuts or bolts. Press the tab in at the base, and slide it off. I had to use PB blaster on mine to get it to slide off - it wasn't budging before I did that.

My 97 Wiper Arm removal didn't require undoing any retaining nuts or bolts. Press the tab in at the base, and slide it off. I had to use PB blaster on mine to get it to slide off - it wasn't budging before I did that.

My bad, I forgot they redesigned the ass end of the Exploder in '98 (I've got a '99). The rear wiper setup is different in the 95-97 part of the 2nd gen.

Haha Celly, I spent about 45 minutes last night staring at the wiper arm going, "Where is this plastic cap? I'll pull here.. nope.. ok how about here.. nope." It kept me entertained needless to say..

I have a picture of the clip I beleive your speaking of, supposedly you just pull back on it and theoretically it should slip off right? this thing will nooot come off!!:mad:

dsc01858e.jpg

Am I right? I just want to make sure i'm doing nothign wrong.. I understand wiper motors/arms are really expensive

Haha Celly, I spent about 45 minutes last night staring at the wiper arm going, "Where is this plastic cap? I'll pull here.. nope.. ok how about here.. nope." It kept me entertained needless to say..

I have a picture of the clip I beleive your speaking of, supposedly you just pull back on it and theoretically it should slip off right? this thing will nooot come off!!:mad:

dsc01858e.jpg

Am I right? I just want to make sure i'm doing nothign wrong.. I understand wiper motors/arms are really expensive

You see that little tag next to the wiper arm bolt, take a small flat bladded screw driver and pull it forward (towards the wiper blade) then with a large flat bladded screw driver carefully pry it of the bolt. It may be a little difficult to get off, especially if it's been on there for a while, but it will come off just like the front ones.

You see that little tag next to the wiper arm bolt, take a small flat bladded screw driver and pull it forward (towards the wiper blade) then with a large flat bladded screw driver carefully pry it of the bolt. It may be a little difficult to get off, especially if it's been on there for a while, but it will come off just like the front ones.

ahh screw driver trick = WIN!, Thanks RickOTR!

Stubborn wiper arm

I've also found they can be hard to pull off even with the clip pulled out of the way. One way I figured out was to use a body panel removal tool. It fits perfectly between the arm and the body and around the shaft. A little downward pressure and the arm slides right off.

NJMike

My suggestion to you, is spray it with pb blaster/WD40 and beat it with something, then pull... it'll eventually come off... if they've never been off like mine, they take some persuasion, possibly a BFH:hammer:

I got it off thanks to Rick's screw driver trick.. hahah

I did paint everything that I needed to, you can check it out HERE if your bored..

Back