99 Explorer limited Won't shift into park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer limited Won't shift into park

tjax21

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer limited
Hi, So I was driving around all day and my explorer was doing fine shifting into park. Then I got home and went to shift it into park and it stopped and wouldn't let me. I am able to shift into every other gear perfectly fine. Anybody know whats goin on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A question, will the prndl pointer not go to park position or is it that the shifter shows park but the truck still rolls?

the prndl pointer wont go into park. It stops like half way between and i don't want to force it.

the prndl pointer wont go into park. It stops like half way between and i don't want to force it.
Look under the hood for any debris that may have gotten lodged any where around the shift linkage, especially down at the bottom of the transmission.

You need to verify what is working correctly and what doesn't, if the transmission goes into park and the truck doesn't roll thats one thing. The shift cable is adjustable at the trans bracket to get the tranny in sync with the stops in the travel of the shift lever on the column, and the little pointer in the cluster has an adjustment thats easy to do under the dash to get it to work with the program. As long as the truck won't roll away on you the other items are small.

thanks guys. I just took a look under the car and we had alot of ice buildup. I am going to let the car warm up for a while and melt the ice and see what happens. I'll keep you up to date.

hey thanks for the help. We melted the ice off the bottom of the car and opened up the hood. then we got in by the steering colum and made sure there was nothing blocking it. We found ICE. it was blocking the car from shifting into park. we melted it away carefully and now it works! Thanks!

Exact thing happen to me today. I had way too much fun playing in the snow today and built up about 5" of compact snow and ice over the linkage making so I couldnt get into park. Had to bust out the heat gun and a chisel to break the ice. Thank you to this forum for saving my ass on again. Would have never thought of it

the 2 bolts that hold the shifter to the steering column can loosen and even fall out. they are gold colored T50 torx. check them and if they need to be tightened, put some blue thread lock on them. this is a very common problem.

Hi, So I was driving around all day and my explorer was doing fine shifting into park. Then I got home and went to shift it into park and it stopped and wouldn't let me. I am able to shift into every other gear perfectly fine. Anybody know whats goin on?
Same problem any help somebody

Check post above. Tighten those bolts high up under the dash.

I think it takes a T-30

Back