anyone running Pathfinder Sport S A/T tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone running Pathfinder Sport S A/T tires?

G/f's Xterra needs some tires. I was digging on Discount Tire Direct online, and ran across their Pathfinder Sport S A/T. Fairly cheap at $122. They resemble the Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61.

Dug online and on a JK Jeep forum, found out there are made by Kumho. A Discount Tire member stated that Kumho produces the Pathfinder S A/T for them and that it shares the same technology as the KL61.

I was seriously considering the Kumhos for my Explorer, but were discontinued by the time I was going to buy them.

The survey ratings for the KL61 on Tirerack are not really as high as I thought they would be though, http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Road+Venture+SAT+KL61 , but the ratings are way better then the BFG Rugged Fails that came on the Xterra stock.

Anyone running them?

IMAG0795_zpsnhnirvj0.jpg

IMAG0797_zpsbsql3ipi.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Searching the web for reviews confirms what you've petty much found already, they are a re-branded Kumho tire made for Discount Tire, and are an ok tire, with A/T looks that gives average to decent performance on the street and are probably fine for an SUV that rarely does anything more aggressive than take a dirt road.

They might do well, and I personally like Discount Tire's way of doing business with free mounting, balancing, flat repair, etc., so they might be the way to go if new tires are needed ASAP, the Discount Tire is close enough for any warranty issues or so she can drive there to get them rotated/balanced, and you can't find anything better for a better deal.

Price wise, the tire size is going to have a lot to do with it. The base Xterra 16's will be a lot easier to find and lower priced than the 17's. You might get some Firestones in the 16" size for about the same as the Pathfinder, or less with a coupon or whatever discount they might have for buying four tires. For 17's, it will probably be tough to find tires lower than what the Pathfinders go for unless there's a sale price and other discounts you can stack.

Generally I like to stick with the top-of-the-line tires like the Michelin LTX M/S2, and buy when they have a $70-80 rebate when you buy 4, but like you say, even decent tires would be a big improvement over BFG Rugged Trails.

One other thing I noticed on the Discount Tire site about the Pathfinders - all sizes seem to have earned the Severe Snow Service "Snowflake on the Mountain" symbol - indicating they will do well in severe snow and cold conditions compared to other all-season or all-terrain tires. Not a bad tire choice for an SUV used in climates that see a good amount of cold and snowfall in the winter.

Hello:

I had the Kuhmo Road Ventures on my 01 Sport. They lasted 35 k before needing replacement. For the first 20 k, I had great luck with these tires and they were decent in the snow. After 20 k, they were pretty worn down and had lost a lot of their siping. Consequently, they did not perform well in the rain. As for their off-road performance they do fine in light mud and on wet grass. On the road these are relatively quiet tires and handle well. With that said, the Kuhmos are split for mileage performance as per Tire Rack Reviews. About half the people had a similar experience to me, and the other half got around 60 k out of them. Hope this helps.

I'm not a Kumho fan. Had em on my explorer and maybe got 30,000 miles out of em. Street tread.

Dad had a set on his ram, had a blow out and knowing my dad they were aired up properly. Mud tire.

So IMHO avoid em

Discount Tire is running their "double rebates" on certain tires, including Yokohama's Geolandars, so it might be worth signing up for their credit card to get $100+ off a set of four. (Says $60 double rebate on Yokohama Tires, so I'd guess that means $120 back as a double rebate).

If you're looking for Labor Day deals on tires and wheels, Discount Tire Direct can help you maximize your savings with our budget-friendly Labor Day specials. Enjoy your Labor Day travels—worry-free—by taking advantage of the 2014 pre-Labor Day Tire & Wheel Sale from DiscountTireDirect.com. Good on Thursday, August 21st through Monday, August 25th, 2014.

Tires

$75 or $50 Visa® Prepaid Card by mail

On 4 Select Tires

Must use Discount Tire Credit Card for Double Rebate.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findPromotions.do?pgid=938&AID=11336245&PID=4485850&SID=7f3cb137692a4c66adb25dcaa3658d7e

I did see that Discount Tire and Discount Tire Direct had some offers.

Seems strange that Yokohamas on DTD show dual rebates, with dual double rebates, so total of $220 off.

Not sure if you can get both rebates and double rebates on both of them, but if so, that would make them quite a deal, especially since tires like their Geolandar AT-S are in the ~$150 range, so the after-rebate total would be much less than buying the Pathfinder tires.

Even with only one rebate and double rebate, that'd still make a set of Yokohamas a better deal, both for the price and for a better set of tires.

I went discount tire and looked at the GTRadial. It's a good looking tire and the reviews are good. There was a guy there that runs a landscape company and said that's all he runs on his plow trucks, can't beat them for the price. Cool I say. Let's do those. Get all ready to go and the manager comes out and says they aren't allowed to install bigger than stock tires on Explorers. Talk to him for awhile, absolutely no way around it. So i left.
I called about every tire place in town and none can get 31's on a Saturday that i can afford. Made some more calls and found a place that offered tip come install them at my location tuesday morning for a few dollars cheaper. I'll try to get some pictures on Tuesday and provide some feedback

If you want to get bigger than stock tires on an Explorer at places that won't put them on Explorers, just bring them the wheels/tires without the vehicle, and don't mention they are for an Explorer.

Well, maybe looking at Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051. They would be $348 delivered from DTD, after the $220 rebates.

The Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S would be $452 after rebates.

Ratings on Tirerack are close in numbers, with the A/T-S being slightly better in Light Snow and Deep Snow. Both tires have better ratings than the Rugged Fails.

Also, just figured out that you must buy the tires with a Discount Tire Credit Card to get the rebates doubled...

H/T-S would probably be a better choice for the price if it's used mostly on pavement and rarely if ever goes off-road, even if the winter performance of the AT-S is rated higher.

You may be able to have them shipped to the local Discount Tire and have them mounted and balanced there for free. Not sure if DT B&M stores mount and balance tires from DTD if you bring them in, but maybe they will with a receipt. It'll eat into the savings if you have to pay per tire to have them mounted and balanced at a DT store or anywhere else.

I mentioned having to use the Discount Tire Credit Card in the info post. Should be worth it for the savings, can just use it to only buy tires and never use it for anything else, or just call and cancel after paying it off.

Hi guys new here. In need of tires. I have a 1999 F150 here and im not sure how much longer i will have the truck. Yet tires are bad at this point and need replacing. Money tight, really tight due to family medical issues so I can only do 2 tires at this point. not the ideal situation but the best I can do for now.

$308 (coupon applied) for 2 Futura Scrambler
or
$376.78 for Pathfinders.

I know both aren't the best of tires but which one is the better quality overall.

Thank you so much guys for reading. Have a great week.

Back