SMORR 2012 Photos & Trip Reports | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SMORR 2012 Photos & Trip Reports

Jakebrake & Rick on double whammy

jakeondblewhammy.jpg

rickdblwhammy.jpg

Just messing around :)
bII.jpg

rickrti.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Second video of the Pumpkin shot by Brad:

We made it home with no issues. Did someone need pics and videos? I'll be right back, I think I have some of those, in the camper.

I kidd. I kidd.

It was great to see old friends, and meet new ones.

More info and pics to come.

We made it home Saturday night. My son had a baseball game at 1 on sunday. So we missed the night run :( But I had a blast and am happy to report no damage and I am still hyped over the optional obstacle Brad talked me into doing. Cant wait to meet up again..

oh forgot to mention my camera was fully charged and sitting on the counter.... So any pics would be welcomed..

Very nice pictures! Looks like everyone had a heck of a time.

Bummed

Sure wish I could have gone, but they frown on taking a week off. Pictures and videos are great. Looks like a lot of fun!!! The rocky parts are similar to the rocks in AZ. Thanks for the video of the Pumpkin. We don't get a lot of video of ourselves.:bounce: :biggthump

Looks like you guys had a blast. The barrel race looked like fun.:thumbsup:

It was a great weekend, and aside from the broken axle (seemed to be a pattern there) and overheating the trans coming through the ozarks on the way home the rig did far better than anyone including myself thought she would. Im really looking forward to my next trip out there with a few more mods. Working on uploading pics

im a bit irritated, got a ton of killer pics of my rig on peewee's crossing, but they were all upside down and when i upload them after rotating them they re rotate

Man what a great time.

Sheri and I headed out kinda late as she had to work a little later than expected, made 2 trips back home for stuff we forgot and still forgot blankets. But I did remember the camera. ;)
On the way over we saw a lot of washed out and smashed turtles on the highway, so we stopped to save the ones we could

010.jpg

012.jpg

This one liked me so much he pee'd all the way across the pavement

011.jpg

Ok, back on the road, we took highway 96 over, which is actually part of the old historic route 66. Sorry, I did not stop ( hurrying to the next turtle) but the sign does reflect the historic route

013.jpg

The old roadbed on the left is what remains of the historic pavement

014.jpg

It is real interesting to see all the older buildings shoved right up to it.

Ok, back on the road. ooops, just now remember we also forgot to bring camp chairs. Luckily there is a family dollar store in Seymour.
I picked orange while Sheri picked put a green one.
Also grabbed a jug of Lipton tea which tasted like crap, but the bottle would almost come in handy later---

We did get in kinda late. Had to set up in the dark:(

Got our camp set up

024.jpg

Stuck it under the trees right in the middle. However, this is not a shady spot in the late afternoon, so, just a heads up for you should you want this spot if you come out.

049.jpg

Hung out with the gang for a while and put the missus to sleep.

026.jpg

We slept well, but the morning alarm clock reminded me how far it was to the bathrooms. I laid there trying to think of a solution to this problem, but came up with only a blank. Then it hit me I should have acted sooner instead of looking for a lazy way out. I know I looked pretty funny quick stepping it over there in my jammies---but drizzle was in the forecast. So yeah I was heel to toe in fast fashion.

Benji has everything!!! My next mission was to find a camp stove with which to make coffee, so I walked up to Benji-man and Dennis' camp where I actually fond a working Mr Coffee machine. Whoa. I'll park it here thanks.
Looking around I quickly saw Benji and I would get along great. I no longer have to be the guy who brings the whole garage in the back of our truck because he brought a workshop--lol

We spent most of the time just hanging out and enjoying being out of our torn up house. Socializing was on the agenda, and it being our anniversary I did not want to leave my lovely bride hanging out with "strangers".
Saturday turned out a little warm, Sheri got some red face but weathered it like a trooper.
Since our truck is not "trail rated" the drag race seemed like the thing to do. While the group was moving to the area, I wanted to see if the puff wagon would ake it over a little mound. Sheri , once again in her true frontier style shouted " dont go up there". So, I backed off it and got this little plug--
027.jpg

I think this added weight, plus the far superior Hankook Dynapro's were the factor which gave us the edge in the drag race. :)

028.jpg

Here's the videos off our camera of the barrell racing. Yours truly threw balls from Rick's truck so dangit--not much video of that.

BTW Rick's driving skill was superb. I had to get the with the jiggy of his truck but once I did we had the perfect 38 second run. It can be done no faster!!!
Time for the group shot.
047.jpg

Ok Saturday night we went on a small night time run. I was excited as this was finally the time I get to ride in the iconic Pumpkin on a trail.

so excited I had no camera--:(
But Let me say it was like riding in a Cadillac. The only "jolt" i felt was when we ran into a rock which reach out and grabbed the wheels of everyone who passed. boom, it said, you will respect me !!
Rick is fearless, and I know the trails we took weren't real difficult but he made em ultra smooth for me. Likey!!!

I was also impressed with the little bronco 2 "the other Steve" was driving. I sure hope he will be a regular-

1st Steve ( 88comingup) but a nice ding on his fancy new Ranger while negotiating a stupid ledge. Highly upsetting.

The moon was bright--I don;t think it was any larger but it seemed the whole camp was lit-and, being Cinco de mayo it was tequilla time. I should have brought more-as the half bottle I brought went away--somewhere.
Many funny things were said but I cannot remember them all now. Believe me though--it was a good time.

Then Sunday AM. The depressing time to tear it all down, and say good bye--until next time. ---

053.jpg

052.jpg

All in all it was a great time. I really wish Sparksaflyin' could have made it, still haven't been there when he was. Something always came up--:(

One request I have though. Next time--a group shot of the people also please. I am such a poor photographer I always think of these things after the fact---

Turdle
This one liked me so much he pee'd all the way across the pavement

That's not pee. :eek::bsnicker::wavey:

The 25 or so pics I took are all here. I'll upload video when I go into work tonight since I have access to a much faster connection there.

Here is Rick up on double whammy, he almost made it up then after a few attempts at the last stair decided backing down was the better option instead of risking a rollover.
IMG_1644.jpg

Jesse's broken cv axle and the replacement that Gregg gave him.
IMG_1645.jpg

Jakes repaired radiator
IMG_1646.jpg

Me failing to even get a tire onto the rti ramp
IMG_1647.jpg

Steve 2 with his broken rear driveshaft
IMG_1657.jpg

If Rick didn't have his spare tire on I could have driven right under his bumper
IMG_1680.jpg

And finally gassing up in seymour, this is for sure the dirtiest my mountaineer has ever been
IMG_1681.jpg

Ok, back on the road, we took highway 96 over, which is actually part of the old historic route 66. Sorry, I did not stop ( hurrying to the next turtle) but the sign does reflect the historic route

013.jpg

The old roadbed on the left is what remains of the historic pavement

014.jpg

It is real interesting to see all the older buildings shoved right up to it.

The section of route 66 i took was still the original road, but no buildings. The cliffs and mountain cutouts were absolutely amazing but i also had no camera because i use my iphone for a camera and gps and i refused to risk getting lost. Maybe next time we could meet up near Rolla and cruise down 66 for a bit

Spending the night in Holbrook, AZ. Hit a storm in NM. It was raining and the temp dropped to 43 degrees. Thankfully it wasn't cold enough to snow.

I'm only about 4 hours from home:chug:

Great pics but umm.. isn't a 4lo drag race winner supposed to be the one who took the longest to get to the end? After all, these are wheelers :)

That Pumpkin looked so much different with all that green around..

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon has been talking me into going to this run for months. I tried to
gracefully decline telling him he needed to bond with the boys. But he
likes me to do these things with him. Gotta tell you i had a blast. Very
peaceful and relaxing. Slept like a baby both nights. Was in great
company and alot of humor going around. We both (Jon and I) needed
to get AWAY. Good to see alot of the guys I know and I met new people.
It was fun. Thanks. Char next time?

Back