Replacing rear quarter panel | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing rear quarter panel

I have a question for the auto body gurus out there. My drivers side rear panel is rusting at the top of the wheel arch. I have a parts car so I was going to cut the panel from there and cut and replace mine. My question is, would it be better to take the panel all the way up to the window opening for ease of repair and appearance. The other way I was considering was to go about 1/2 way up and cut there. Let me know what you all think Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would honestly go with what Monmix is telling you.
Even though you only see rust in that area, there is most likely more rust on that panel.

Explorer's have a tendency to rust out bad above the gas cap.. and it always starts from behind.

Just cut the whole panel off and save yourself a headache later..

Here's how bad mine got before I had to take action..

804gJC6l.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate the advice. I probably am going to go that route and remove the whole panel. I plan to keep the truck until she won't move any more, so I want it done right.

I appreciate the advice. I probably am going to go that route and remove the whole panel. I plan to keep the truck until she won't move any more, so I want it done right.

I know this is an old post, but I was curious as to what you ended up deciding to do and how it turned out? I have a similar dilemma so I was hoping I could learn something from you.

I haven't gotten to it yet. Been crazy busy with work and family. When I do get it done I will post pics and results.

I know this is an old post, but I was curious as to what you ended up deciding to do and how it turned out? I have a similar dilemma so I was hoping I could learn something from you.

You have a WAY cool screen name.

I can walk you through the process as well.

You have a WAY cool screen name.

I can walk you through the process as well.

Hi MONMIX, thanks for the offer and I guess you know the name is from Monty Python, ha ha. "Well, the superintendent thought it was an almond whirl. People won't expect there to be a frog in there. They're bound to think it's some form of mock frog."

I have not cut out any panels yet but looking at 3 options. 1) I am looking at a potential donor vehicle on Sat morning (he's asking $900). 2) There is a local Pull-a-Part that has over 40 2nd gen Exploders in it now and the whole panel is ~$100 it is just I will have to figure out how to get it cut out at the junk yard. 3) The local used panel place here wants ~$350 for a cut out rear quarter panel as well. They say they will cut it wherever I ask them to.

I am a fan of Monty Python, but that bit slips my memory. *shrugs*

Just met me know. Its not going to be a quick easy task, but I think we can muddle our way through it.

Back