The everything Aviator thread. | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The everything Aviator thread.

I put a spectre air filter and Pulstar pulsed power spark plugs (very expensive) in my 2004 and now get 20-22 mpg on the interstate. over all mpg is 14.8. It was an expensive investment, however it will pay off with the better gas mileage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pulstar pulse plugs

I was curious about Pulstar so I went to their website and read about them. In my opinion the concept is flawed. Yes, when a quantity of energy (joules) is dissipated in a shorter period of time the spark will be more intense. This why in a conventional ignition system a ferromagnetic coil is used to build an electromagnetic field in the primary winding, and then the field is allowed to rapidly collapse inducing a high voltage in the secondary winding which is routed thru the spark plug to ignite the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder. Contrary to Pulstar's description there is no flow thru the spark plug except when the field collapses because a transformer does not transfer energy for a constant direct current. Therefore, no energy builds in the spark plug "capacitor" unless it is taken from the energy that would be expended when the plug fires. Also, an extremely short duration spark is not desirable and may result in misfires.

AviatorGuy,
Could you post info/pics on changing the lower control arm on a 2004? I am trying to decide if I want to replace it my self or not.

Thanks

P.S. Thanks for going to the effort to make this thread. It is hard to find info on this awesome suv.

RAP keypad entry module location

Has anyone located the mounting position for the RAP module. New owner of a 04 aviator. Previous owner didn't know the keypad entry code and the card in the manual is MIA. I've looked all the places the other ford people are saying its located with no luck. I even pulled the radio. Supposedly some of the modules have the five digit code printed on a sticker on the side.

BTW so glad I found this forum.
Thanks in advance.

Vehicle security module

According to my 2004 Aviator Workshop Manual "the vehicle security module is located behind the right rear quarter trim panel. The vehicle security module is on the UBP communication network. The vehicle security module controls the keyless entry functions for the vehicle."

Has anyone located the mounting position for the RAP module. New owner of a 04 aviator. Previous owner didn't know the keypad entry code and the card in the manual is MIA. I've looked all the places the other ford people are saying its located with no luck. I even pulled the radio. Supposedly some of the modules have the five digit code printed on a sticker on the side.

BTW so glad I found this forum.
Thanks in advance.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246957&highlight=2004+keyless+entry+code

That's where I found mine

Great I haven't checked there yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Hi guys; just bought an 04 Aviator for my wife and am tackling some of the issues it has.
First a couple questions for those of you with Aviators:
- Ours has the HID headlights. I see it has fuses for daytime running lights, but ours doesn't seem to have DRL on. Which lights are supposed to be the DRL's?
- The gearshift has a light indicator to show what gear you are in. Ours blinks red next to whatever gear we put it in - except park where it's solid red. I assume something funky is going on, but want to know what a working shifter looks like. Is it just a solid red light next to the gear you're in?

The things I have to fix:
- My wife jammed a cd into the changer (nav radio) and I cant get the dang thing to eject it. The radio is unfunctional as is because the face is slid down. I tried taking the negative battery cable off and resetting it, but it doesn;t eject anything and can;t seem to shuffle disks. Unless anyone has a bright idea, my next step is to uninstall the radio and see if I can get the disks out.
- We have the heated/AC seats, but both driver and pass don't work. The number dial lights up at night, but there are no lights on the AC/heat switch. Is that normal? I thought maybe the switch was bad, but I see the number dial and switch are all one unit. So if the number lights up it must have power anyway right? Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks! I really like the Aviator and my wife loves it.

One more quick question: The nav radio for the LS looks identical to the aviator's. Does anyone know if it's a direct swap?

Hi guys; just bought an 04 Aviator for my wife and am tackling some of the issues it has.
- Ours has the HID headlights. I see it has fuses for daytime running lights, but ours doesn't seem to have DRL on. Which lights are supposed to be the DRL's?
- The gearshift has a light indicator to show what gear you are in. Ours blinks red next to whatever gear we put it in - except park where it's solid red. I assume something funky is going on, but want to know what a working shifter looks like. Is it just a solid red light next to the gear you're in?

- My wife jammed a cd into the changer (nav radio) and I cant get the dang thing to eject it. The radio is unfunctional as is because the face is slid down. I tried taking the negative battery cable off and resetting it, but it doesn;t eject anything and can;t seem to shuffle disks. Unless anyone has a bright idea, my next step is to uninstall the radio and see if I can get the disks out.
- We have the heated/AC seats, but both driver and pass don't work. The number dial lights up at night, but there are no lights on the AC/heat switch. Is that normal? I thought maybe the switch was bad, but I see the number dial and switch are all one unit. So if the number lights up it must have power anyway right? Any ideas where to go from here?

Congrats on your newly acquired Aviator! :)
I imagine that the CD changer will need to be removed, and I have no idea if it's a direct swap with an LS unit.

I have an '03, and mine is only set up with auto headlights. If the fuse box is marked with "DRL", I think it may be also used on another Lincoln/Ford model that does have DRL's.

The shift indicator lights on mine stay on solid when I'm driving, so I'm not sure why yours would blink. Does your alarm work? If not, there may be a tie-in there. Your owners manual may explain that one.

The heat range knob on the heated seat switch lights up when you have your headlights on...so does the door lock button. The heated/cooled seat switch itself is supposed to light up if it's functioning correctly. So I guess make sure your fuse is fine, then make sure you are getting power to the switch & it completed the circuit when pushed. If both are good, then there is a controller relay or module (not sure which) that is next in line. Not sure where that is, though...or the correct way to test it.
Good luck.:)

The gear shift light flashing. Is an indication of transmission failure, including overheating. But if it's shifting nice and smooth it's probably just an error or sensor problem

Also I'm new to the forum but I have an 04 aviator AWD
I also have all of the technician service manuals for all aviators and a cd with all 04 fords I believe. So if anyone needs any tech info feel free to ask

I have some problems I'm trying to isolate so I'll be posting them and if anybody has any info please share

04 Lincoln Aviator Rough Idle

Hi guys, let me start by saying I've googled EVERYTHING Aviator and never seen this before. I got lucky and found you guys on a rough idle search.

My Aviator has 148000 miles on it. The transmission was swapped at 75k under warranty.
I have a consistent rough idle. It's a moderate rough idle but I think it's getting worse and I want to fix it. It also has a couple of "rough patches" when revving the Vehicle in neutral. Most notably at 1500-2000rpm, probably 2x as bad as the idle. Keep in mind this only while in neutral, when I accelerate in gear it's smooth as a baby's behind. The rough idle is ALWAYS, any gear. I've replaced all the plugs and coil packs. It was flashing the misfire code but not a specific cylinder. The misfire code is fixed. But the idle was unaffected and the free revving is still just as bad.
I drive this car everyday so I need to fix it soon. If this sounds like a valve issue, I can compression check each cylinder and make sure they are in factory specs but I was hoping someone might say they knew what this was right off the start.
Does this sound more like a fuel injection issue? I bet the fuel filter has somewhere around 75k-150k
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Any other ideas?

It may be a small vacuum leak. If you look at page 8 in this thread, post #159 , there's a good tutorial regarding the PCV hose replacement. That's one vacuum leak possibility.

Welcome to the forum!:)

PreRunning, let me know if it IS a vacuum leak, mine has a rough idle as well. Not horrible, but everything vibrates a little bit.

PreRunning, let me know if it IS a vacuum leak, mine has a rough idle as well. Not horrible, but everything vibrates a little bit.

I checked the tubing that was in question. The upper elbow was very iffy, I tore a hole getting it out. But it wasn't collapsed. I taped it up real well and fired it up with no improvement. Problem still exists, I will update as I continue to diagnosis it

Hello not to new here my wife has a lifted X but I just purchased an 2003 Aviator 68K

Have any of you guys lowered an Aviator? Im getting a set of 20's for it, I want to do the cooling mod does anyone have a link to the company.

Plans for the truck is to get a lowering kit and wheels this summer then get a turbo for it and hunt down some SRT-8 Grand Cherokee's!!!!!!

PreRunning,

There are multiple people fighting a rough idle issue on these trucks,myself included. If you find anything please post back with your results.

Benjam :D

Hey Guys,
I wanna clean the EGR valve, I undid the 2 bolts, but I'm not sure
how to unscrew the EGR pipe. Would like some help before I break it,
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

loosening the fitting

The EGR tube fitting screws into the EGR valve system module. It is much easier to unscrew the fitting while the module is still attached to the intake plenum. You probably should soak the fitting with P B Blaster or equivalent before attempting to loosen the fitting. A good quality flare wrench will be less likely to round the corners on the hex collar of the fitting.

Back