Any idea what to look for on my submarine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any idea what to look for on my submarine?

SScott

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
I went down a creek I go all the time to but heavy rains washed the floor away and the explorer went for a dive in about 4 feet of water. It soaked for about 2 hours until the Calvary came and has been drying out for a month.

When I turn the key on or do the door locks or anything, the dome lights and door lights drain real low like it is a dead battery but I charged it.

Any ideas on where to start?

Thanks,

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow - The motor could be hydro-locked-(water in the pistons) Pull the spark plugs and then try and turn it over-- Did the computer get wet? Does the battery check good? Did you try and start it under water- if so the starter could be bad. Once you get it to turn over you need to check if your air filter is bad, and you will need to drain the oil, tranny fluid, and drain the fluid in the axles. Might even have to "drain" the exhuast.

It does it before trying to start, I pulled the plugs and the motor turns by hand fine. If the pooter is in the lower right kick panel....yes. :mad: Battery is good. I did try and restart once. Air filter was toast (soggy toast that is), I have all the ducts off. I am changing all the fluids, the front diff was full of water (thinking about adding a drain plug but I have a pump up evacuation tool). I did not think about the exhaust...I may need to drill a small hole in the muffler to see before it rusts out.

Thank you Flip.

Wow - The motor could be hydro-locked-(water in the pistons) Pull the spark plugs and then try and turn it over-- Did the computer get wet? Does the battery check good? Did you try and start it under water- if so the starter could be bad. Once you get it to turn over you need to check if your air filter is bad, and you will need to drain the oil, tranny fluid, and drain the fluid in the axles. Might even have to "drain" the exhuast.

My buddy bought a Ram that was flooded while it was parked. He stripped the entire interior out to let it dry. Pull every fuse and clean the contacts. clean or replace the alternator and ground strap from the battery. Change every fluid several times. You may have to dig under the dash and separate and clean the contacts on all of your wire harnesses.

Good luck. it's a ton of work.

But my buddies truck has been running strong for over two years now.

Thank you tweaked. While that sounds like a major pain, it is very inspirational knowing it worked out for your buddy. Sounds like I need to just start at the front and work my way back....

On the up side, you now have the opportunity to make it all better than new! So while you're in there, you can add relays, replace bulbs, upgrade to LED's, and basically fix everything that Ford should'ove done in the first place. :D I'm collecting a bunch of parts for just such a project when I yank out my dash.

And you may even consider putting the CPU higher if it needs to be swapped. Good luck!

I'd start by looking at some of the newish range rovers, they were briefly owned by ford and I could swear that they looked remarkably similar to our first gens, with more bling.

Just wanted to update. The engine bent a rod so I got a new one and then paid $185 to flush the transmission and drives only to discover the water did a number on the transmission so it blew the same day. I got that rebuilt and the drives changed again and it drives perfect other than some kind of a miss I cant figure out yet and a feeling like a flat spot in my tire at speed.

Wow sounds like allot of work so far ! , Wouldn't mind getting a Swamped first gen Cheap !

Back