PRNDM light staying on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PRNDM light staying on

Brownie11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT AWD
'11 XLT -- After exiting the vehicle, letting all the various lights and screens "time out" and shut off, the PRNDM shift-position indicator light in the speedometer is staying on (indefinitely). Also noticed that the red highlighted gear position isn't lighting. If you fiddle with the shifter lock button, and can get the red highlight light to come on, then the PRNDM light will properly go out along with the domelights, etc. The Dealer admits it's odd and is going to do some research to figure out what part to order and how to fix this. Will keep you updated, but thought in meantime someone might have similar experience?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not that im an expert on that particular vehicle but from previous experience it sounds like there is an ignition switch issue. the gear selector and ignition switch are linked and are often problematic. try wiggling the ign. switch and gear selector.

'11 XLT -- After exiting the vehicle, letting all the various lights and screens "time out" and shut off, the PRNDM shift-position indicator light in the speedometer is staying on (indefinitely). Also noticed that the red highlighted gear position isn't lighting. If you fiddle with the shifter lock button, and can get the red highlight light to come on, then the PRNDM light will properly go out along with the domelights, etc. The Dealer admits it's odd and is going to do some research to figure out what part to order and how to fix this. Will keep you updated, but thought in meantime someone might have similar experience?
Welcome to the Forum Brownie11.:wavey:
The way you are describing the problem it almost seems like it is a issue with a poor electrical contact since wiggling the shifter. I don't recall a similar post with this problem although other members ahve reported getting a 'Shift to Park' message after parking their vehicle. It seems that was cured by replacing the shifter.
By the way, if you add 'XLT' after 2011 in the left column profile you won't have to identify your Ex model everytime you post.
Good luck and Season's Greetings.

Peter

Hi Brownie11!

You've already done what I would advise off the bat - you went to your dealership! Additionally, I am happy to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get things rolling.

Not that im an expert on that particular vehicle but from previous experience it sounds like there is an ignition switch issue. the gear selector and ignition switch are linked and are often problematic. try wiggling the ign. switch and gear selector.

Welcome to the Forum Brownie11.:wavey:
The way you are describing the problem it almost seems like it is a issue with a poor electrical contact since wiggling the shifter. I don't recall a similar post with this problem although other members ahve reported getting a 'Shift to Park' message after parking their vehicle. It seems that was cured by replacing the shifter.
By the way, if you add 'XLT' after 2011 in the left column profile you won't have to identify your Ex model everytime you post.
Good luck and Season's Greetings.

Peter

Great suggestions, OneofMany and Peter!

Have a great weekend,

Crystal

2011 xlt gear lights stay on

Same problem, but of course it doesnt do it at the dealer, its like taking a kid to the doctor, he gets well immediately. If they can't duplicate problem after today ill pick the vehicle back up and wait til it happens again. Glad i got the extended warranty. This will be the last Ford I EVER buy.

Same problem, but of course it doesnt do it at the dealer, its like taking a kid to the doctor, he gets well immediately. If they can't duplicate problem after today ill pick the vehicle back up and wait til it happens again. Glad i got the extended warranty. This will be the last Ford I EVER buy.
I assume that your last statement is based on more than just this post!
My 2011 has been virually flawless over the almost 2 years I've had it. Of course if I had a extended list of problems that I've had with it, I would likely also share your feeling. FYI, I have seen a few similar posts by members on the Toyota Highlander Forum about their vehicles when I was active on there.

Peter

The dealer replaced the gear shift lever...and now all is well. Note to Keithd: the problem was intermittent, but I found that if I left the selector in PARK and toggled the release button on the backside of the shift lever, I could often duplicate the problem.

this is happening a lot more often than i realized.... This has been the biggest headache for me the last 3-4 months or so trying to get it fixed....

New Post old issue 2011 Explorer shift indicator lights

As on previous post I have seen about the shift lever indicator on the dash my lights are now own all time and the low pitch hummm.
I have followed numerous in cab fixes to no evail.
Ford Dealership first told me the battery was bad and computer didnt like that hence lights on on indicator.
Now the is on 80 percent of time I stop my vehicle which is a nusiance and im not sure if that drains the battery or not.

Sorry for mispelled words

Thanks
DO

Gear selector lights stay on dash

Exterior courtesy and interior lights go off once door is shut but the PND lights in instrument panel stay illuminated. Everything else is off. Any ideas?

I know that the button on the shifter has caused problems with the "**** to Park" warning coming on. Not sure if this may be caused by the button as well. Next time it happens, try clicking the button a few times to see if the lights go off. Replacing the gear shift cleared up that issue.

NOTE: I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

Exterior courtesy and interior lights go off once door is shut but the PND lights in instrument panel stay illuminated. Everything else is off. Any ideas?

Disconnect the negative battery cable, wait 30 seconds, reconnect. See if the condition persists.

If you are lucky, it's just a body computer issue and a reset will fix it.

Disconnect the negative battery cable, wait 30 seconds, reconnect. See if the condition persists.

If you are lucky, it's just a body computer issue and a reset will fix it.

Thanks to both

Replaced ignition lock cylinder, PRND indicator still illuminated on dash, along with odometer. Shift indicator believes car is in P, key can remove from cylinder, why would PRND still be drawing current, causing dead battery if not driven daily?

Replaced ignition lock cylinder, PRND indicator still illuminated on dash, along with odometer. Shift indicator believes car is in P, key can remove from cylinder, why would PRND still be drawing current, causing dead battery if not driven daily?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you tried the above suggestions re battery and shifter button?

Peter

Tried disconnecting battery for 30 seconds, no help. Should the shift lever be replaced next, or something else? I'm pretty handy with minor repairs, just not sure replacing the shift lever is in my wheelhouse or not?

Ive come to realize often when shifted to P, the ring is not illuminating around the P until I mess with the shifter quite a bit. Then I'm able to remove my key from cylinder, but PRND indicator and odometer stay illuminated after locking car doors.

I really need some help getting this sorted out, but don't have funds for the dealer to investigate and then fix this right now.

Thanks for any advice....

Usually if the transmission is not in Park you will get a Shift to Park warning. There is a thread on that issue. Shift to Park Warning I noticed that original poster was able to get the lights to go out by fiddling with the shifter button. I believe that even though the PRNDM and odometer stay lit after locking up, they should be turned OFF 10 minutes when the Battery Saver program kicks in. Have you checked on that? Even if they do go OFF, that doesn't fix the problem but should stop a drain on the battery. Some members have replaced the shifter themselves and it didn't appear to be that difficult. It may be in that link.

Peter

Having this same problem on my 2011 Ford Fusion. Seems the car is definitely in Park. However its not being recognized causeing the PRDNL light to stay on in the dash causing my car battery to die. This is very annoying. Is there no recall since tons of people are having this issue. Or will i have to pay out of pocket.

Hello Guys. Thanks for having this forum.

I have a Ford Explorer 2.3 4x2 2018 and it is having a problem. PRNDS Light on dashboard isnt turning off (white color) when i turn off vehicle. This light doesnt turn off after 10 minutes too.

So this problem is draining battery and if i dont start vehicle in one day, battery is dead at the second day.

I read some little that ford changed the whole shift lever when that happens.

But in Chile warranty is only for 3 years. In that case changing that part will rekt me i guess.

Anyone knows about this problem?

Thank you all guys

20220530_231849.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having this same problem on my 2011 Ford Fusion. Seems the car is deinitely in Park. However its not being recognized causeing the PRDNL light to stay on in the dash causing my car battery to die. This is very annoying. Is there no recall since tons of people are having this issue. Or will i have to pay out of pocket.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Recalls are only issued on 'Safety' related issues. As this is an Explorer Forum, I can't really comment on the Fusion but there have not been any TSB's (Technical Services Bulletins) issued for the Explorer for this specific issue but there was one for the 'Shift to Park' light staying on. It also included the 2013 - 2015 Taurus. 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's
Perhaps someone on a Taurus form may have more info.

Peter

Back