• Register Today It's free!

F150 - Ecoboost vs. V8

JCat

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer
First off . . . . Gas mileage and cost is not a issue for me !

I have been test driving the 2015 F150's recently. I have test driven them with the Eco-boost and the V8 engines. I have driven many, over the course of 3 months.

It is my opinion that the V8 provides a much more enjoyable ride.

I know the numbers don't reflect this (hp and torque) but I sure don't feel that way. When I stomp on it, the feel from the V8 is MUCH more enjoyable.

(Also, the new aluminum changes and weight reduction makes the truck feel much peppier and unique from the 1/2 ton Chevy's and Dodge's that I've recently driven.)

I guess I definitely feel like the V8 is better than the V6 (even if the V6 is turbo'd)

Leaning toward a V8 :)

Comments ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When we bought our 2013 F-150 I debated about the V8 (5.0) and EcoBoost. I went with the 5.0 because it is a proven engine, even though it is not the same 5.0 from years past, it is basically the same.

The EcoBoost is one hell of an engine, but we tow a lot with our F-150 (horses) and I was worried about the wear and tear of a turbo-V6.

A friend of mine has the EcoBoost and has had some weird problems with it - and mainly it boils down to programming. He takes it in and the re-flash it, seems to work for a while then it goes back to having the annoying problems (cannot recall exactly). I have yet to have an issue with my 5.0 - it may not have the specs of the EcoBoost, but has been reliable for me. I am glad I went with it.

I picked up a 2015 Lariat 5.0l 4x4 yesterday. I drove both the 3.5TT and the 5.0l, I didn't feel enough of a difference on a simple easy test drive to make me want the ecoboost over the 5.0. The 5.0l sounds better.

I have driven a ton of new f150s and the 5.0 v8 is the way to go. Too many working parts on an ecoboost that can cause issues down the road.

IMHO I think they should have brought back the Inline 6 from the 90's and turbo'd that.

So my vote is get a Dodge 2500 with a Inline 6 Cummins Diesel.

My Exp is the only "V" engine I own and will probably be the last if I can help it. I don't like any "V" engines, two heads = twice the work to fix.

I picked up a 2015 Lariat 5.0l 4x4 yesterday. I drove both the 3.5TT and the 5.0l, I didn't feel enough of a difference on a simple easy test drive to make me want the ecoboost over the 5.0. The 5.0l sounds better.

Can always add forced induction to the 5.0

https://www.procharger.com/truck-superchargers/ford

https://www.procharger.com/truck-superchargers/ford/f-150/2015-f-150-50-4v#/2015-f-150-50-4v-street

You will have to switch to premium gas though.

BTW, does the ecoboost require premium? I would think it would.

Do they make FlexFuel ecoboost? E85 can outperform Premium.

Keep in mind it appears there are THREE different V6's

The engine options I am seeing on FuelEconomy.Gov are as follows:

3.5L FlexFuel Naturally Aspirated V6

2.7L Reg Gas Turbo V6

3.5L Reg Gas Turbo V6

5.0L FlexFuel Naturally Aspirated V8

Nice the 5.0 is Flex, add a SuperCharger and tune it for E85 and you'll get massive power.

Has anyone compared it to a RAM 1500 with a 5.7L HEMI?

If you're going to keep it 5 or 6 years and then upgrade or move on, get the ecoboost. Better resale.

If you're keeping it forever and this it what you want go v8.

Personally I have driven a '15 ecoboost 4x4 crew rental from LA to Vegas and back. It was very nice and great power and decent milage. I also use to own a '05 Crew with a 5.4 V8, and it was much more macho if you will.

I do love the ecoboost however in my Focus ST:D

Back