Rear Shock Length Question

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
On my Ranger, I have Deaver leaf springs, inverted shackles and I turned the axle shock mounts up so they do not hang down below the axle tube.

Needless to say, I get lots of droop travel (30.75" left, 28.75" right).

Unfortunately, using a shock that allows for the droop travel eliminates most of the compression travel.

At this point in time, I am not going to move the upper shock mounts into the bed.

What to do? The only solution I have come up with is to use a shorter shock, which shortens the droop travel, and allows more compression travel.

Any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cantilevered shock mount, something similar to this -

131_0809_06_z+ultimate_adventure_2008_ua_z71+web_exculsive_part_4.jpg

Since it is your time and money--the cantilevers look real nice.:D

Could the lower shock mount be moved so the angle could be changed steeper which might allow a shorter shock? ( or allow a longer one depending)

Since it is your time and money--the cantilevers look real nice.:D

Could the lower shock mount be moved so the angle could be changed steeper which might allow a shorter shock? ( or allow a longer one depending)

By turning the lower mount back to the factory position, I will gain 2 inches in static length - not enough to make a difference.

What to do? The only solution I have come up with is to use a shorter shock, which shortens the droop travel, and allows more compression travel.
This. IMO droop travel is over-rated. I figure, if it's drooping, there's no weight on that corner. If there's no weight, how much traction would you really be getting if you drooped enough to have ground contact.

I have the same situation. I turned up the lower mounts years ago.

I am running modified explorer sport leaf packs in the rear of my ranger with extended shackles, no block on Explorer axle. Its about 5-6" of lift in the rear and I am using 5" lift shocks. I have my lower mounts moved up even with the bottom of the axle and build a cross member for my upper mounts. I have a 3" body lift so had plenty of room to work with.

rps20140603_135649.jpg

rps20140603_135519.jpg

This. IMO droop travel is over-rated. I figure, if it's drooping, there's no weight on that corner. If there's no weight, how much traction would you really be getting if you drooped enough to have ground contact.

I have the same situation. I turned up the lower mounts years ago.

This is what I'm leaning to - at least for now.

Do you know what length/model shocks you are running?

I am running modified explorer sport leaf packs in the rear of my ranger with extended shackles, no block on Explorer axle. Its about 5-6" of lift in the rear and I am using 5" lift shocks. I have my lower mounts moved up even with the bottom of the axle and build a cross member for my upper mounts. I have a 3" body lift so had plenty of room to work with.

rps20140603_135649.jpg

rps20140603_135519.jpg

That is a nice, clean setup.

Without a body lift, I don't that much room. :(

I wouldn't say droop is over rated. Keeps the wheels on the ground when you get to bouncing. Think sailing over whoops :D

Scott what about a small body lift? 1"?

You could do cantilevered if you don't have a spare down there

I wouldn't say droop is over rated. Keeps the wheels on the ground when you get to bouncing. Think sailing over whoops :D

Scott what about a small body lift? 1"?

You could do cantilevered if you don't have a spare down there

No spare - I do have an air tank, but I can move that.

No spare - I do have an air tank, but I can move that.

I'd look into mounting the triangles somewhere off where the shocks are currently mounted to the frame. Push arm mounted to axle shock mounts. Shocks mounted to the rear cross member or back bumper. The air tank can fit between the shocks.

I know that makes it sound easy but it'll be alot of measuring, cutting, welding, ect. But you'll have one bad suspension set up :D

Nice mounts. I think something like tha will help my ex . It has a nine inch with stock shocks with a spring over and needs more travel.

I took some more measurements, and have narrowed the selection to 2 shocks.

10.17" travel, will give me 4" compression travel and 6" extension travel.

11.0" travel, will give me 3" compression travel and 8" extension travel.

I am leaning toward the 10.17" travel shock for the additional compression travel.

I really think I need to turn my lower shock mounts down, to allow for a longer shock.

I took some more measurements, and have narrowed the selection to 2 shocks.

10.17" travel, will give me 4" compression travel and 6" extension travel.

11.0" travel, will give me 3" compression travel and 8" extension travel.

I am leaning toward the 10.17" travel shock for the additional compression travel.

I really think I need to turn my lower shock mounts down, to allow for a longer shock.

Yeah I'd do something. 11" of travel is nothing. Isn't stock 12??? If you don't wanna do anything totally outrageous atleast move the lower shock mounts down and move the uppers up as much as you can. Can you move the lower shock mount closer to the tire?

Yeah I'd do something. 11" of travel is nothing. Isn't stock 12??? If you don't wanna do anything totally outrageous atleast move the lower shock mounts down and move the uppers up as much as you can. Can you move the lower shock mount closer to the tire?

I think stock is 10" of travel.

I'm not sure how much closer to the tire I can go with the lower mount. Since the upper shock mount is inside the frame, it is a limiting factor.

I am going to re-think this. I need more travel.

I will start by figuring out how to move the lower mounts closer to the tires.

You will hit the frame rail with the shock body as soon as you move the shock mounts outward. Are you running a 28 or 31 spline axle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will hit the frame rail with the shock body as soon as you move the shock mounts outward. Are you running a 28 or 31 spline axle?

31 spline off of an Explorer.

Since these mounts are not factory installed, they might have some room to move outboard.

Back