• Register Today It's free!

rain water ingress

Stumpy33

Reaction score
City, State
fowey,cornwall
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer v6 4.0sohc
The silliest question is the one that never gets asked. So...where can rain get into these vehicles to cause a short?. ( Obviously with the bonnet closed and the vehicle parked ).
Are there any areas prone to leakage/seepage ?

I found a lot of water around the wires that go to the air bag module ( nearside footwell ). Is the earth for the ecu spliced into this bunch??. If not,where is the earth for the ecu?

Help gratefully recieved,thank you.

Hiya, I've had three explorers now, two leaked from the front windscreen and the drivers footwell was soaked after rain!
I had to prise the lip of the black seal with a flat screwdriver and run it in advance of a bead of silicone sealant and tape it down while it set- after that never a leak!
Try that mate.

Mine seems to leak from the rear hatch seal. This trickles down and through to the jack mount, no shorts as of yet but rear light wiring has been damp after a real downpour.
Good luck!!

Thanks guys. I am trying to eliminate as much as possible before I have to send the ecu away for testing. See my other posts about " Non Starter " etc. I have no fuel or spark.It went from running fine one day to nothing the next day.
Pretty frustrating lol.

Back